Thursday, November 2, 2017

Sourdough Deep Dish Pizza

I love a good deep dish pizza...the kind you have to eat with a fork and knife....
This last weekend I made a loaf of sourdough bread....and I reserved a portion just for pizza.
Since I wasn't going to make it right away...I sprayed the inside of the ziplock with coconut oil spray and dropped it in there. Raw dough is good for about 4 days or so...I wouldn't push it beyond that really.
Yesterday, I was ready...so I pulled out my round deep cast iron pan from Hubby's BBQ and oiled it really well. Then plopped the dough out from the fridge and gently pushed it into place and then let it rest for about 10 mins.
In the meantime I turned on the oven to 425 and I poked a few holes with a fork to keep it from expanding too much....
Then I popped it into the oven for about 8 mins. (your oven may vary)
This cooks the dough a bit...which you need to do as this is thick crust and would be hot dough with toppings if you put it all on now....
After it comes from the oven, let it cool a bit so it isn't too hot....
then put on all the toppings you desire!
In this case, I put on some turkey lunch meat, sauce, mushrooms, mozzarella, parmesan and some Italian seasoning.....
I put it on for about 15 minutes....and waited until the mozzerella was bubbling and starting to turn brown....
And....voila!

Definitely fork and knife fare....and oh so good!
We ate half of it for lunch and the other half I cut in half and placed it on parchment and put in a bag and put it in the freezer....another meal for a another day!
It was rich and gooey and the bottom was beautifully crispy.
Just the right amount of chew and goo!!
Have a great day.
Nancy

2 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That sounds really good! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!

Carol Slater said...

That looks delicious! I just seen someone else make pizza in a cast iron skillet, so I may have to try it.