Thursday, July 20, 2017

Making Tomato Jam

Tomato jam you say?? What is that?? Gracious, you haven't heard of it??
Well, take your ketchup (or catsup as some say) and throw it away!
Tomato jam is the usual condiment, kicked up a notch or two ....
You won't want regular ketchup again...seriously.
Of course, you must have abundant tomatoes.....
The recipe (from Food in Jars, by Marissa McCellan) starts with 5 pounds of tomatoes.....
And you need at least 2-2 1/2 hours....
And get that patience out......
Now, the recipe calls for red pepper flakes...which I followed exactly.....you can reduce to your taste...
The first time I did I only used a 1/4 tsp....which wasn't much...
However.....
After you have stirred and stirred some more....you have the most delicious replacement for the popular condiment.....
ONLY problem....5 pounds cooks down to 4 pints (in the recipe)...for me it turned into 2 1/2 pints!
Also, I used frozen lime juice...which had separated and was questionable as far as being shelf stable due to acid level...so though my jars were sealed in the water bath canner, not knowing my acid level of tomatoes....they are stored in the fridge.....
But, heck, I gave one to my son-in law last night to put in their fridge...it will be used up quickly....
The other jar goes to my daughter's house...they will use it even more quickly...as her boyfriend loves burgers and hot dogs....
good thing we have more tomatoes coming......
Truly...if you have "too many tomatoes" give this a try!! Its wonderful!!

No comments: