Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Around the Garden

Summer is garden time....and though we are mostly overcast in our "May Gray" and "June Gloom" time of year, our garden is making time and growing....
This year I have planted what we really use...and what is hard to get really fresh....
I make and sell Pepper Jelly, so I need lots of peppers...and we have those....
These are some purple peppers that I am trying this year....I am not so sure if these will go into the jelly, but they are pretty....
I also fed the garden from the worm composter before all our rains...so it isn't at all surprising that I have a few "volunteers" in the garden.....
One has me baffled.

Isn't it beautiful?? It is a squash for sure, a vining plant that grows almost 3-6" a day. It is in the middle of my peppers and it's too late to move it. I have it pitifully trained on the short little obelisk which it has totally outgrown already....
In a few days I gave it permission to grow up the mammoth sunflower....
Problem is, I have no idea what it is. It's probably not even edible! Anyone familiar?? The flower is about 2 1/2" across...almost 3".....
I hope something gets pollinated...so I can find out what it is......
So, I keep weeding and primping the garden....seems like everything is growing at an amazing pace....
So, when I am not in the garden.....
I am quilting....duh.....
This is a baby quilt I've been commissioned to do....and there are 30 squares, each with 18 pieces....
Now, I have to put it all together......
That is what's going on around here....
If anyone knows what the squash plant is, let me know....
Nancy

No comments: