Thursday, April 20, 2017

Spring has come

Around here in Southern California, spring has arrived.
The birds are chirping and flowers are blooming. The hills are just gorgeous this year with all the rain. They won't be much longer as the warmer weather sets in. There are places that will be in the 90s this weekend....turning the lush green of the hills to a dull brown...sad..
This week, Hubby needed to see the PT and since that is in San Clemente he decided we needed to have lunch out on the pier as reward. Count me in!!
It was a bit breezy, and surf was quite rough...only the advanced surfers were out...
After, we came home and did a touch of gardening, which included harvesting the onions!
It was time...the straight upright stalks had fallen and the bulbs had pushed up through...
We had a great harvest....some were small, some were quite big!
These were planted in October as onion sets....they throughly enjoyed our great rains and the sweetness of these Visalia onions is so wonderful. Now because they are sweet onions, they won't keep as long and I don't have that much space...I have been sharing with neighbors...(yup that many onions).
I will also dehydrate some and freeze some as well...but for now, the basket sits on the counter. I should be braiding the leaves and hanging them to dry....but I am just enjoying the "fruits of our labor"....
I also have been working on the quilt for our friends...

I am pretty pleased with it...even though I lost some points (mainly from squaring up the squares)....
This week is the beginning of a rough week for us.
We are getting a new driveway next week, and since the driveway is our main way in and out....we will have to go out the back and around the side yard to get in and out....
Today, a new dishwasher is getting installed (its been two weeks without one....).
I have been stressing about the driveway...It is something we wanted for about 27 years now, but due to the difficulty...have put it off....and well, with the wet winter, the cement is worse for the wear...
I will post about that later....
For today, I am babysitting....
Have a great day!!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

I hear you about the driveway....but once it is done you will be so glad it is done. We had to park next door for a couple of weeks when ours was done several years ago.

Glad your dishwasher is getting installed. I love getting a new appliance!

Your quilt turned out beautifully and I bet no one will ever notice the 'points' being a bit 'off' if you don't mention it. I think it is gorgeous. Have a great day- xo Diana