Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Getting Organized

So, today was one of those days I got lots done. Amazing what getting up early and having a good breakfast can do for you.
One of the things I did today was work more on the "Craft Room"...really the quilting room, or maybe I should call it a studio.
Regardless, it was still in disarray.
I finished up a small project I had started which felt good to do...
Then, got ready to set up three other projects.
One is for a friend...she wanted a pillow to go with the quilt I made her. I had to order the fabric which came amazingly fast...then I realized I had no zippers that would work.
Then, I started planning a quilt for us. Yup, one for us!
I am planning a quilt that we will have for our 40th anniversary! Our Anniversary is in June on the 18th, and since that falls on Father's Day this year, we are planning a party on the day before.
I am kinda playing with the idea of having our dear friends sign fabric and turn that into a quilt...but maybe not....
In any case, I started putting together a "task basket" with fabric in it I might want to use.
In another basket, I put fabric together for some dear friends...their 40th is this year also, on the Fourth of July! So, I think I want to make them a lap quilt....Well, that's the plan anyway....
Then, since I had to dig through the fabric to find the 4th of July fabric, I organized the rest of my fabric "library".....
This is just acid free cardboard, known as Magazine board, but wrapping a half, whole or more yard of fabric around it and securing it with a stainless pin...well, it seems perfect. I can see the fabric and get to it. At certain areas, I have bookends that help hold it up, so the whole lot doesn't fall down when some are removed....
No, it isn't perfect, but  it is a whole lot better than a stack that you mess up because you had to get the one from the bottom....
And, I got ruthless too, I actually donated a bunch of fabric I knew I wouldn't use....which helped organize quite a bit. Every now and then, one needs to "weed" the collection, whether it is books, records, or fabric....
I did that recently in the kitchen too....but that is a discussion for another time.
After I did this, I also hatched a plan for hanging those quilt tops that wait for a home, the ones I set aside for monograms etc....
I had been using a clothespin and skirt hanger method, but that was not really working anymore. So, I came up with this.....
These are two Pottery Barn brackets that I picked up at a thrift store. Not really sure whether they are shelf brackets or what....but, when I saw them I knew this would work. I mounted them to the window and put a rod through the hole...(there are actually three holes, so technically, I could have three rods!).
So, that is where my day ended...besides making dinner and having a glass of wine.
More got done, but that is my highlight...
Hope your day was a productive and good one.
Here's to sweet dreams....
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

You DID get a lot done! Wow! I like that idea of wrapping your fabric like that. I still have a ton of fabric and need to get busy one of these days. I used to make so many cute things- kids clothes, aprons, pillows and it seems it all got put on hold when hubby got cancer the first time and I never got back to it. That has been 7 years and although I have made a few things for the kids I haven't worked at it like I used to do.
Hope you have a great night and productive weekend. xo Diaan
oh- and congrats on the upcoming 40th. How did we all get this old?!!!???