Sunday, March 26, 2017

What A Couple of Weeks!!

I have not been idle. I've been busier than usual and out of my comfort zone....for the better.
For two weeks I have taken a class in the evening....(yeah, I know, right?? I usually relax and watch TV while having dinner and do .....nothing....)
The first class was how to make Kombucha!
Kombucha is a drink I have been spending money on ....every day!
However, I believe that it was one of the reasons I have stayed healthy, especially around a two-year old......
Last year, I was so sick and had two horrific chest colds....that got into my chest...(and you know how that goes)...so I vowed I would do something to stay healthy this year.
Kombucha is a fermented tea drink. It is so good for you! It is loaded with polyphenols and enzymes, and probiotics. One bottle a day I have been drinking. I feel peppier...and healthier.
So, since I have been spending lots of $$$ on Kombucha (they run $1.94-3.99 each), Hubby said "you should learn how to make it!"....so, I did!
There are a few tricks, but nothing hard....the hard part is waiting! It takes about 15 days to become Kombucha...and 5 more if you want flavors....
So, here are my two batches, waiting...and growing...
So, far, so good....
If want to know more...just ask....
Then, I took a class at the sewing shop so I could use my machine
So, for a week I have been "studying" how to use certain features.....
 The first feature is using the new monogramming and scanning parts of the machine....this machine will actually scan the area in the hoop and find perfect center and the thickness of the fabric....wow.
Here I learned out to design a piece...this is my newest design...I hope I remember how to use it.....
I also learned how to use the embroidery unit to Quilt! So, much more to learn...it is amazing...
Anyway, that's not all!
This week, I learned how to make kraut!
Yes, went back for another class, this one was very exciting...we made garlic kraut, beet kraut, and turnip pickles....
Who would've thought? I had no idea...I've been canning for 38 years...and didn't really know the difference between canning pickles (which I will still do) and fermenting pickles.
Fermented pickles, like Kombucha, are loaded with probiotics and good things for you. When you can them...it kills much of the good stuff for your "gut". Anyone heard about "leaky gut"?
Yeah, what fun!
 This is the pounder, a beautiful piece of wood, and much needed tool.
This jar, equals about 3/4 of a gallon. It holds, five pounds of cabbage. Yes, it does. I didn't believe it, but we help make it happen....an amazing task that the pounder makes happen....
The result is a fresh and yummy kraut....not like any other I have had.....
We also did the beet kraut that has red cabbage, red onion, carrots and beets in it. All 5 pounds.
Have any of you made kraut??
And.....on top of it all.....
I am learning piano!
We have a piano in our house...and no one plays....except our daughter....and it just sits there....until now.
It is slow, I am learning on my own, with my daughter "checking" my progress..
So, that is some of what I have been doing for two weeks.
In between, I finished off two quilts and started a wall hanging for a customer. Yup, I have sold a lap quilt and a wall hanging.....
It appears my sewing machine will be very busy.....
Happy Sunday!!
Nancy

No comments: