Sunday, February 12, 2017

When Life Gives You Lemons

We have all heard that saying, haven't we?
Well, today dawned bright and shiny, with warm winds blowing.
I decided to harvest lemons for a couple of recipes I saw, candied lemons and dehydrated lemons, and preserved lemons.
Hubby helped me harvest, my oh my what a harvest!
The tree is simply exhausted from producing so many. (I also fed it while I was out there)


This is a meyer lemon bush...and it has been quite neglected...not anymore....
We only harvested from the large clusters, keeping a few on the bush for later.
Of course they got washed first....especially since these are indeed organic....
A recipe I found said to simply slice and dehydrate...so I did that.
And it said for a delightful twist to cover the slices with sugar and dehydrate that way...sounded good to me!


I have a lovely old dehydrator that was given to us, a great big one that lives in the garage. We use it so much more than I ever thought....but this sugared recipe was a new one...We will see.....
I also have mixed according to another recipe 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup sugar and quartered without going all the way through more lemons and put them in a sterilized jar...
And another recipe for preserved lemons call just for the salt and squishing them into a jar...with salt on the bottom of the jar and more on top...them filling the void with cooled boiled water...I am also trying that.
The sugar and salt recipe I did years ago, don't know why it got forgotten....it is a sublime preserved lemon recipe and they keep for months in the fridge.....
 These are the lemons with sugar and salt...they will sit out for a day and then get refrigerated and are good for about 6 months or so.....When you use them you use only the peel...not the meat...that gets tossed and you rinse them quite well of salt/sugar....they are so very delightful in fish and chicken dishes...How did I forget about this??
This one I haven't done before...it is just salt and lemon...and the water that fills the void.
You use them the same as the others, but they sit out for quite a while, much like if you were making sauerkraut or something......
I also harvested limes from the lime tree....and will be making dehydrated limes....
Probably not lime marmalade as no one really like it so well....I did...for adding to teriyaki sauce for a marinade....
In any case....I am grateful for the bounty in our yard.
Have a terrific weekend.
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh, My!! Meyer's lemons! What a bonus to have those~ I have never dried or preserved lemons at all but that is a great idea. I love limes, too. Especially Key Limes like I used to grow in FL....I do love Key Lime pie!!! xo Diana

Beverly Frankeny said...

mmmmmm....I'd be making some lemon curd!! How lucky you are to have citrus in your yard!!!