Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Valentine's Day

I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day....I know I did.
We woke up later and then after a casual breakfast we went looking for dinner.
Once upon a time, many stores carried lobster and they would cook it for you (I don't want to do "the deed" myself )...
It turns out most no longer provide lobster...tails only and frozen ones at that.
We wanted the whole lobster (is there any other kind??) We went to Costco as they had lobsters last year....not this year.
We called several stores and were told no.
Finally, we called Bristol Farms...and were told that yes, they had fresh live Maine lobsters and yes, they could cook them...what time did we want them??
So, after telling them the time we were free for several hours....Hubby wanted to get both cars washed and I wanted to sew (no surprise there)...
So, I did...I needed to embroider the name of the new baby for the sampler quilt that I made for them...so it can indeed be quilted.

I am very pleased how this turned out....embroidering on a quilt is always a bit risky as it can pull both in the frame or the fabric itself....and I am still going to put his birthdate on this morning....then I get to quilt!
After that we went on a short walk with the dogs...
And then it was time to get our lobster!
Did you know that they give Senior discounts at the market? Yeah, I guess because it was Valentine's Day or something...but we got $5 off! Pretty cool. It was far less to have lobster at home than at a restaurant...and we could be as messy as we wanted! (I am known as an otter when it comes to lobster or crab....I eat everything but the shell and get very messy....)
 Here is our dinner! A slightly over one pound lobster, mashed potatoes and salad.
 This is the salad, with cucumber, tomatoes, and pistachios....
 And this is the what is left of the lobster when I get done with it....LOL.....
Then Hubby got us chocolate covered strawberries for dessert....quite yummy....and later while watching TV we had some Nespresso decaf coffee.....
While watching TV, I worked on "weeding" our book collection which was getting unruly....really don't need all the books...some haven't been enjoyed for years or never really looked at....I mean, how many recipe books do I need??
I also continued trimming threads from the whole cloth quilt I finished....
I had it hanging up for you all to see, but the fact that it is all white reflected the light too much...I figured this way you get an idea of how it looks....It is all sewn free hand and free motion on the machine. It has roughly 1200ft of silk thread through it and you can see some of the raised portions...that are "trapunto" technique...
Because this was a preprinted quilt I had to wash it....twice to get the blue marking out. Now it is soft and cuddly....I am pleased with it actually. I know the lines of stitching aren't perfectly straight....but hey, it still looks good and I did it. For hours and hours and hours. It was actually quite fun....like tracing with thread....
Today....I made Hubby breakfast of french toast and bacon....because really, Valentine's Day should be celebrated almost every day as we never know what the future might bring.
Have a great day!!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Oh-Lobster--I love lobster----but Maine lobster is really the best in the world as far as I am concerned. Did they clean the lobster for you? It looks really good.
That quilt is just darling and can't wait to see it with the date on it and all quilted. The white one is beautiful!!! You did a great job on it. Hope you have a good night- xo Diana