Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A Change is in The Wind

I have created two quilt tops in the last week, both are waiting for name or a home...That makes 4 quilt tops hanging around....
 The  quilt here is almost done, it is waiting for the final border......
Here it is with its border....The block is jewel box. The fabric is by Moda, called Ruby....
But here is where the change in the wind comes in.
My sewing machine and I are not agreeing anymore when it comes to quilting. It is rough and frustrating. Yet, when it just sews or embroiders there is no problem.
I have totally enjoyed free hand free motion quilting, but have started seriously looking at long arm quilting machines.
I have been eyeing them for sometime, and played with a few here and there.
But last week, when I went to the craft show in Pomona, I tried out the Bernina long arm which is a fairly new machine on the market.
I loved it...but....
I went home talked to Hubby and started measuring...
Uh oh....as Hubby said "that's buying signals"....
Yesterday, he was sweet and went with me to the shop where the Bernina is sold...and I tried out the Baby Lock Crown Jewel....
Now, when it comes to long arm quilting I am a complete novice.
I don't know squat.
But last night I found some tutorials on YouTube....very cool....
I think it is the next logical step.
I can quilt more efficiently  and for others.
No more straining my back or neck.
You do stand for this technique...but honestly, the machine does the work...you just guide it.
Some have computer programs that do all the work...literally, all you do is measure and attach the quilt.
We don't have a safe and clean garage to put a big one in, so that leaves me with an 8 ft frame...wouldn't you know there just happens to be a machine on display at that shop that needs to be sent to a new home so they can bring in the newest model??
It is seriously affordable in the grand scheme of things. And let me tell you, that is amazing!
Anyway, that means reorganizing the craft room into a full on quilting room, complete with a big long-arm quilting machine..
That means, my little French Armoire (made to look that way, not an antique) has to go....
My sister thinks she wants it...so she gets first dibs...but anyone else interested (you'd have to be local)...

See, I need to reorganize all this stuff has to go somewhere.....

So, any of my readers long armers??
If you are please speak up and let me know what machines you have and love.
Do you have the computerized programs??
I am thinking of "crossing over" after 8+ years of doing total free hand...free motion...
Have you had pitfalls?? wishes..??
Here is to a change in the wind.....
Nancy

No comments: