Friday, January 13, 2017

Work In Progress

First off...did you notice my new banner??? Yeah, thank you to my lovely readers for suggestions....I ended up using a section of PicMonkey I found to be truly a free trial....Yay!!
So thank you....that too is a work in progress!

And for that quilt I am working on....It has been difficult. My silk thread that I love has been snagging and shredding and yes, I did change the needle....twice. Usually if there is a problem it is because of Santa Ana winds...but alas...I am getting through it, little by little. The back will most likely show those snags etc...
However, I am not sending this quilt to the fair or other judged events....It has a special home to go to. So, I believe it will be fine.
Also, I got frustrated by all the "straight" lines. I guess I like curves! Ha! For someone who is always telling drivers and others to "stay between the lines"...I like to go outside of them....at least in quilting.


The "main squares" have 49 2" squares and they are 14" each. I chose the cross hatch them. I started off using the ruler technique that I spent $$ on. And there I ended up being frustrated, because of so much quilt that gets in the way.  I ended up doing it freehand...so it is amazing if there is any straightness (is that a word??) to it. That is a great number of lines and squares.

I started of with the "medallions" in the center of the big squares that link up the "chain" of this triple Irish Chain quilt. But, after all the sewing, I realized that the rectangles were left undone and needed to be stitched. So, I thought I'd do a simple cross hatch and fill two sides that made it like an hourglass....but frankly....I got bored. So, I allowed myself to "play". It will make the quilt more interesting if it isn't all the same....

See....I did "squiggles" here...and in others I did feathers....and in others different lines....
What can I say....I like to make feathers and squiggles, and flowers when I free motion quilt.
So, with a quilt that is 76"x104" I will be busy for a while longer...but I can see the end coming...then it is binding that needs to be done....think I might play with that too......
Have a great day....
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Your header is AMAZING!!! Good job and once you do it-it is not nearly as scary as you think it will be-is it? lol
You do some amazing quilting work, Nancy. I have never done more than straight lines-and I have not done much quilting at all in years and years. It is a craft I really appreciate though.
Hope you have a great weekend- xo Diana

Kelly said...

It's looking good! I have never made a quilt before. They are a lot of work but so beautiful when they're done. I can see why they're usually family keepsakes too.