Monday, January 30, 2017

My Mrs. Pattmore

Remember Downton Abbey? Do you remember Mrs. Pattmore? The lovable and huggable cook for Downton Abbey? Yeah, I would love to have her in my kitchen. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love to cook and have for my hubby for almost 40 years. However, a Mrs. Pattmore would be fantastic!
Well, this day and age, not many have a cook..or a butler, or a maid...(well some may have maids that come to their house once in a while....).
I have none of those. I once had a maid who came to clean for us...turned out she ruined my new sink and stole my daughter's earrings. I haven't had the where with all to hire anyone else...so, I live with messes until I get to them...or Hubby can't stand it and he cleans up.
But oh, I would indeed love to have a Mrs. Pattmore!
Well...meet my Mrs. Pattmore!
I had read about this new breed of pressure cookers a while ago and kinda thought how cool it would be....that was over a year ago. In that time, they have gotten even better...and are safe (if you follow directions) and fool proof. And, they do so much more!
I got the Sur la Table catalog the other day and they had three in there!
So, I told Hubby about this and he said...."cool! How much?" When I told him that they were under $200....he was on board.
So, I went on Sunday to the mall...and got there at 10:30 am....ooops, it was Sunday...and none of the stores were open....until I walked to the other end and found that Williams-Sonoma was open! Yup, they have classes in the morning...but instead of forbidding other to come in...they welcome them...
So, I found the nearest clerk and asked...."what is the difference between the pressure cookers you have and why would I want one?"...
Well, she didn't know and asked another clerk, who lead us to the clerk who did know and before I knew it we had an impromptu class on Pressure Cookers....
We learned about Breville....and Cusinart, and All Clad.....
But, I asked, what about the Fagor? They told me they can only order it for me....
Oh....sad.
So, I looked at the cookers they had.
The Breville had an all computerized screen...
the all Clad had a handle that was big and cumbersome to my arthritic hands and they both only had a 6 qt cooking bowl.
The Fagor has a 4, 6 and 8qt available.
It was at Sur la Table.
I was waiting outside the store for it to open when a chef walked up and knocked on the door. I asked her if she was teaching a class...yes, she was. And she waited ....
I asked her her opinion of pressure cookers...and she told me Sur la Table only uses the Fagor as it does just a little more...and it comes in more sizes.
She loved it....and owns one herself.
Ok by me....
So, she went in and I waited.
A lady across from me came walking up with an 8 qt Fagor pressure cooker....
I asked her if she was going to return it...yes, she was.
Why?
"because I am lazy and a chicken..."
We chatted for a while, and with my enthusiasm I almost sold her on keeping it....
But while I was inside with the clerk, looking for an 8 qt....her husband came up and said..."we aren't going to keep it...it is totally new...we never opened it."
So, they returned it...and I bought it.
My Mrs. Pattmore.
Mrs. Pattmore...she can make almost anything....this can make any food that is pressure cooked, it can saute, brown, steam, make rice, risotto, pudding and so on.
Last night it made rice...the last of the rice I had in the house...3/4 cup of rice. It was amazing. in 10 mins I had light yummy rice...
Tonight it will be oxtails...
Get the picture??
It will be perfect for days that are harried and fast paced...but also on days when I want gourmet....
Yup, Mrs. Pattmore...that is its name now....
I will let you know more as I learn more about this new "toy"....


Here is a picture of the dinner I served last night out on the patio....Hubby BBQed pork chops and I made rice with sautéed mushrooms....last night was amazingly warm and lovely out on the patio....
Have a great day!!
Nancy

No comments: