Monday, November 7, 2016

The Learning Curve

I am going through a new learning curve.
I am learning, via a Craftsy class, how to quilt with templates/rulers.
It requires a special foot....which I bought (about $50).
It also requires that you buy the templates/rulers. Which I did two from my sewing place (Pal's in Costa Mesa)...that Casey helped a great deal...bought the foot from him and now that he sells long arm quilting machines, he had the templates.
Oh, let's back up a bit.
You see, a few years ago, some people realized that long arm quilters use templates (rulers) to create some of their designs...and that home sewing machines could do some of that if they had a foot that was the same....hence the special foot.
That foot is a 1/4" foot that follows a template and gives beautiful results....cross hatching, spirals, curves, celtic knots....be still my heart.
I watched a few videos and got caught...wanting....
So, the class on Craftsy went on sale...$20 to learn how to do this new technique.
So.......

So, here I am doing my first straight lines...not bad, kinda fun. To do this there are some things to know....you first have to invest $$ on templates and a foot to get started. Pick templates that  you are sure you will use first...fill in as you learn and feel comfortable.
Second, absolutely buy the anti-slip sticky things to put on these templates! I first tried without them...uh uh....no working...
Third, be comfortable with free motion first and this is a free motion type of operation. I was....but get used to that first (this should be first).
Fourth, buy "machingers" which are the gloves that help you grip and move.
Fifth, buy the silicone mat that goes on the sewing surface to help the fabric glide. (I had one, but it has seen a better day...)

 Here is a picture of my older "machingers"...yes, they are important....
 Here is my first ever cross hatching...not bad on a curve! Frustrating because you sew off of the 1/4" mark....
 Here I gave in and switched feet to free hand curves...
I think doing a border with curves on a first try was a bit of a big bite for a newbie to this type of work....
These are the three templates I bought...a curve, a scallop, and a long straight edge ( I will be using this the most I think)....they are NOT regular templates which are only too small in thickness wise...don't use anything else(must be 1/2") as it will hurt your machine! The foot will jump and you can bend your whole machine....so, invest in good ones. Stores that carry long arm machines will have these, or you can buy them online.
Learning curve ahead....that's my motto....but, for exact designs inside of a square of fabric....or later on a border....yes!
I recommend taking a Craftsy class....online classes from them are great...I can still access classes that I took 2 years ago! It's great take at your speed...(in my case until I got the parts)...and review when you are under way....
But....I did finally finish my crazy quilt...well, I am putting the binding on.
I would have liked to do more on the border....and maybe later, I will....for now...it's done.
Have a great evening....
Nancy

2 comments:

Katie Mansfield said...

This is great. Machine quilting is hard to do. I'll have to look in to these next time I quilt.

NanaDiana said...

Wow- I have never quilted with a machine. I actually haven't quilted in many years-but it looks 'touchy'-like you have to know what you are doing. Good for you for making the investment to try something new. I think you did a great job on that curve!!!!
Hope you have a good night- xo Diana