Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Scrap Box

Quilters have them, they rarely talk about them.
They have stashes. They have UFOs (unfinished Projects).
But they rarely talk about the scraps.
I'm talking about the pieces that come off as we cut and trim. They aren't the big pieces or the leftover patchwork squares, triangles, or rectangles that we cut for a project.
This is the "trimmings"...the stuff that most see "trash".
Well...yes, we have scraps too.
I have a box for those under the table and when it gets too full, I go through it.

Once I took a quilting class....what seems like a million years ago...and they said keep all scraps 1" or bigger....
So, I have all these years...
Last year, I discovered a method for doing Crazy Quilts.
It is absolutely perfect for dealing with all those scraps!
Crazy quilts are those designs that aren't designs...no color pattern, just plain random....
As you can see it is an odd shaped pentagon...


And you find scraps to sew to every side...going around it in a progressive way, and just stitch away....
You decide how big the final squares will be..
No rules....
Well, only that the final product is square so you can use it.

You get to play with all those stitches on your machine that you rarely use! Or you can embroider by hand if you want. Some people use buttons and lace and overlay on top or into.
You can use the scraps of sewing fabric from dresses or other...such as velvet, or other. Nothing is "wrong" in a crazy quilt.
IN my case, I quilt, so there aren't too many fabrics but cottons.
But as you can see no color restrictions, which I might add is refreshing for the quilter.
Then, when you get a piece that is bigger than what you want, you can cut it square.
Unfortunately, you end up with some more scraps. However, this time, the scraps are either useable for the next square or they really are ready for the trash bin.
For me, it is like a scrap book of all the quilts I have made over the year....
Some people use this method for baby and child clothing that is no longer fitting and won't be used anymore...
Or I saw one done with ties!
There really are no rules, except that it needs to be square in the end...however big you want....
IN my case, these squares are 10"....and as of yesterday I had 10 off them....
Still so much to go through in that box.
I found some fabric that can go back into the stash even.
Everything gets ironed before use....so turn that iron on....
It is so fun. After you have sewn pieces together, iron and then play with those fancy stitches on your machine... or not....
I might even go back and machine embroider the "Center" and then again I might not....we will see.
But, that is that scrap box.
Do you have a scrap box?
How do you use it?
I encourage you to try the crazy quilt template. It is available at most quilting shops....I got mine from Missouri Star Company....
Enjoy!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Yep- I don't quilt but I sew (for kids and dolls) so I have that stash, too. It is fun to go through it and maybe one day I will do a crazy quilt myself. Yours looks like fun and what a great way to use up all those bits and pieces. xo Diana