Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Crazy Quilt

I have always wanted to do a crazy quilt. I never understood how they were done.....so crazy....
But last year, I found a template that gives quilters a "base" to start with.
So, I started making this a year ago, using scraps from projects. I had lots and lots of scraps. Bits and pieces of fabric from literally hundreds of projects from the last couple of years, most made this last year.
I had been taught never to throw any scraps away, and I felt very guilty if I did, looking over my shoulder almost when I did. I guess the pioneer in me held me back and all.
So, with this template, I could use the smallest of scraps to create a useable item.
One could also make placemats, pillows etc using this technique. However, my goal was a lap quilt of useable size that was also a scrapbook (no pun intended) of projects I have done.
So, today the quilt top was done.
Cost.....$0.
Hubby liked that.
I had the scraps.
I had border fabric.
I have batting.
I have backing....so it will be fun to do when it gets sandwiched.....



Now I know that this goes against some people's grain, all these little pieces, mismatched colors and patterns....
But even though it isn't...just think.
Not much fabric ended up in the round file. So, I was recycling....and it will go into most decorating colors...
Well, maybe not your style....however, I love when something comes together, almost from nothing....
And today, the only scraps left in the scrap basket are those from the border fabric! Yup....
It is a great way to empty out the scrap basket at the end of the year....
Have a great day....
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

I never throw scraps away either. A few years ago I decided I was probably never going to do anything with the scraps I had (and some pieces of fabric that I didn't care for) so I took them down to the senior center. They used them to make quilts to hand out to the homeless shelter. I was thrilled. xo Diana