Thursday, July 14, 2016

What Have I Done This Week??

This last weekend, Hubby and I had wanted to get away. But, since we couldn't get our dog sitter to watch "the kids"....we decided to make it our get away at home.
Which means spending time together doing fun things, that we might not normally do.
That meant Hubby had to put down his phone more and get "creative".
So, we gardened together....going to our favorite garden shop, Roger's, to buy some plants using my special discount that I had.
We ran into dear friends we haven't seen in ages....we also ran into neighbors!
Afterwards we planted and dug and mulched....together.
I know that doesn't sound so terrific....but really it was....
Then we decided the next day we would smoke a chicken so we went to the market together and brought the ingredients and he picked out his chicken. The recipe said to smoke two...but his smoker is quite small and only one fits.....
The next day early on, I pulled up the beets that I had and pickled them! Pickled beets are Hubby's favorite way to eat beets....except of course if they are Choiggia beets that we discovered in Hawaii and he likes those roasted in a fire oven....
As you can see they didn't pack tightly, so there is more liquid than beets...but hey, it was the first time for this recipe and they will still be good....
Hubby did his smoking.....3 hours and 30 min after in the oven at 400 to finish it. But Man oh Man, was it good!! Amazing! Yes, if you have room in a smoker for two chickens, do it....it made the best sandwiches the next day!!

I think a new smoker is in order, maybe for his birthday?? We will see....He is thinking a two door, multi-level one. Anyone have a smoker?? Any suggestions??
Then, last night we had an appetizer dinner with friends at their house to see their new floor in their bedroom. Since she watches her very elderly Mom on Wednesdays, I made most of the dinner....so I kinda cooked most of the day....I even made lemon curd to put into puff pastries and then whipped cream....see??
They were pretty yummy...I have to admit....
All in all, I ate things that I ought never eat....but hey, it was kinda party......
So, things were pretty sweet at our "away" time.....
Sometimes, we just need to put down the phones....stop being on the internet....and be together....
Don't wait until you are retired....
Do spend valued time together.....
Well, I am off to babysit....
Nancy

No comments: