Thursday, June 30, 2016

Today's Baby Quilt

Today I got to quilt the quilt top I had made. You remember the "basket-weave" one?
Well, it has a baby to go to....her name is Melody and she is due later this year. I know her Mom pretty well, so it's nice to make a quilt for her.
 This is one thing I am excited to share....see this lovely fabric? It is a sheet! Backings are a pitfall of mine. Always too narrow, or too small or expensive for what you get. Most of my quilts lately have been gratis...so spending a small fortune for fabric is bad planning. So, the other day while "thrifting" with my friend, I discovered sheets! Yeah, I know many have...but honestly....a twin sheet (a lot of fabric) for $3.99?? Yes, please!!
 So...here I am quilting.....I divided the "squares" into half diagonally and free handed the free motion quilting into feathers! I have not done feathers this way and I have to say it was liberating! What fun!! I am rather proud of how this quilt turned out.....
 I am almost exclusively using silk thread for quilting now as it has a light touch to the quilt, almost like it isn't there. It is a bit finicky sometimes, but overall a joy to use as it was here. Silk thread if you haven't used it is perfect for quilting, it is strong but thin and has a slight shine....but is such a joy overall.....amazing to work with. If you haven't used it....you should try. However, I recommend Superior Thread's Kimono silk.....
I have used other thread company's silk and those were not a pleasure....they broke constantly...no fun. This thread has a higher tolerance than most......

 I had great fun quilting on either side of Melody's name... such fun.....
 Here is a picture of the back to give you the overall idea....I am so pleased with how this turned out. And this "backing"....it was wonderful!
 Up next will be binding.....

 So, if you are a quilter, and need backing....and inexpensive route might be to go to a thrift store. At our Savers here in our area twin bed sheets are $3.99, double $4.99 and queen are $5.99 and King $6.99....If you don't have to match a specific fabric this could be the best route for you. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Top sheets (flats) are often clean and not stained....and I brought them home (I did buy several) and wash them of course and then ironed what I needed.....but with lots of quilts in the works....perfect solution!

Have a great day!!!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- How very, very pretty. I have not quilted in years but this makes me want to do it again! xo Diana