Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Birdhouse

Now in my neighborhood I am a bit eccentric...a bit odd. I have taught the neighbors for the last 26 years about the birds that live here....and over the years the house has become dotted with birdhouses and feeders.
This year, for Mother's Day, Hubby gave me a big birdhouse, one I have wanted for years. (Course whether we have these birds or not is the real issue....but I will get back to that later.....) I have wanted one of those fancy Purple Martin houses (they are the largest of the swallows)...you know the wood ones?? Well, turns out that those are kinda really expensive....so, he got me a Purple Martin house from Hayneedle! It is a metal one, that goes together "like an erector set". It was still expensive....but when you add the pole that we had to order as well....well, I just hope there are still Purple Martins around. I know I have seen them in the past, but birds are disappearing around here, so it may end up being a very big "decoration" that everyone can really see......

Make no mistake, this wasn't that easy to put together. Our daughter's boyfriend, who is in construction...and does welding etc, got frustrated with the directions and there were a couple of times he had to take it apart to redo a part, then put it back together.
They don't really tell you how big it is.....but it is BIG.
The Pole, it is 15 feet. Doesn't sound like much, but after 15" is in the ground, it is still BIG.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love it....mostly the thought and time that has gone into the whole process...but I now have my doubts about putting it up....
The only place that is even remotely possible for it to go up is out front. Now, remember, I live in Suburbia....and my neighbors are or have been quite tolerant. I do not have an HOA. But, there is so much to consider when you have a Purple Martin house.
You see, placement is apparently a make it or break it situation for the birds.....
And we chose a nice place but honestly our yard isn't really big enough....these birds are apparently very picky. They prefer the open fields....
Directions say it needs to be 25 feet from the house, 25 feet from the trees....so on and so forth. Which I read....AFTER they gave it to me. Yes, I could have returned it, BEFORE my daughter's boyfriend labored for two hours putting it together. And now the plan, which goes against the general placement rules is to attach it to the house for safety in suburbia.....
We get very high winds, and even if we cemented it into a hole it is a dangerous thing to have fall onto a sidewalk....
So, since her boyfriend can weld and work magic with metal, he is going to create a special strap that will attach to the facia of the house without being screwed to it, so the facia is not hurt.
Now, how can I send it back now?? Right?
Truth is, it may never be used by the right birds.
And according to what I've read, if other birds use it, well, forget ever having martins....
So, last night, I couldn't sleep...worrying about what the neighbors would think and so on.
Oh, you ask why not put it in the backyard??
Oh, because that is now the territory of the bluebirds and mockingbirds. And because there is at present a huge jacaranda tree that is roughly 53 years old. (The former owners weren't sure when they planted it, so that 's the best guess). So, if you consider that...the martins will definitely not come....
So, I am still thinking. Attaching to the house is really the best of all, though "against the odds"....
However, it is still quite impressive....and the love and thought behind it is sweeter than candy.

Cute huh?? Well we will see, I'll let you know. In the end, it may get donated to the Audubon park in Irvine if no one ever uses it or if the neighbors mind....there are swallows galore there....
I guess I just need to move where it can be put....ha! There's a thought!
Have a great rest of your weekend.
Nancy

No comments: