Monday, May 16, 2016

Stitch and Staple

I have a wing chair that we bought about 7 or so years ago that I bought at a garage sale for $10. At the time the foam wasn't bad, and I sent it out to get a slipcover for it, using linen I had lying around.
But time in the family room with lots of sun has turned the foam to granules. It is rotting. I am allergic to rotting foam. So, I started looking at replacement chairs, for under $300. There are chairs for that, but the reviews have not been promising.  Mail-order is questionable for what I need. So I looked at the chair and reconsidered. I looked at Pinterest and studied.
Realizing I cannot take it apart without problems, I came up with a good and longer than temporary solution. I will reupholster over the existing upholstery.



As you can see the original upholstery is shot. And, I do not have the umph to get all that off...so, I covered the arms and back with remnant batting from quilts...in hopes that it will hold the foam for a few years....
Then I took the slipcover and cut it up to use as a pattern....
With my pattern, I cut with generous seams the pieces as I needed....
The first piece I cut was the back...No real cutting needed was the grain sack I had. It is just big enough to cover the back....
Then, I cut a piece of slipcover fabric for the base that the cushion sits on.....


Then I paused and painted the legs on the chair...almost forgot!! I had decided that the legs would be painted and that there wouldn't be a skirt on the chair this time.....

I found going over old upholstery is a difficult choice...staples don't go over everything...so that put a change of plan on the upholstery...so, I ended up stitching most of the chair together......
In the end it is a blend of upholstery and slipcover and very French country....

As you can see it is not too bad! I kept the cushion as it was, with its slipcover and just wrapped the grain sack material around and stitched it. So, it becomes three tone, but because the old fabric is the color of the grain sack (mostly) it works. The chair is half stapled and half stitched. Lots of staples....lots of stitching.....
What do you think??
I think it will last three to five years...well we'll see.....
Hope you had a great day!
Nancy

1 comment:

cindy@bornhouseliving said...

Well, be still my heart...it looks beautiful! You did a fantastic job, Nancy:D I kinda did the same thing you did. A couple years ago, I bought 2 wing back chairs from Habitat For Humanity, but I haven't done anything with them yet. They're REALLY hard on the eyes, but they're oh so comfy:D My husband says he's going to burn them soon if I don't recover them.

I triple dog dare him...LOL! Have a great day!