Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Making English Mustard

Yes, mustard. That condiment that everyone wants with their hot dog...and hamburgers and mixing with other condiments to make yummy sauces.
I have an old recipe that I collected, from Martha Stewart, it is an easy, no-fail recipe.
Basically, you gather 2 1/2 cups of brown and yellow mustard seed.
Put that in a bowl (glass is best) with 1/2 cup of white wine vinegar and a cup of dark beer. I used Modelo beer....
Then let it sit for 48 hours. Keep the seed in moisture...it starts to dry out, add more beer.
I covered mine with a linen towel during its "quiet" time as I didn't want bugs, or dog fur to find it.
After the 48 hours you put the mixture into a strong blender with a 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt and some 1 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp turmeric, and 1/4 tsp ground mace. And blend.
Warning...I have a Vitamin blender....strongest in creation....it found the mixture difficult...so keep that in mind...perhaps separate it so it won't hurt the blender. Mine actually shut down like it is supposed to do when overtaxed!
Gratefully, it was all done mixing...

Now, the recipe I had didn't have a canning method....so I wouldn't recommend "canning" unless you have a pressure canner with a recipe for that. However, this mustard is good in the fridge the recipe said up to six weeks....
So, share with friends...it makes a great deal of mustard. So, use it creatively in sauces and glazes.....
Enjoy!
Nancy

No comments: