Saturday, April 9, 2016

Quilting with Vinyl

I got you! Did you really think I'd quilt with vinyl??
It did remind me of quilting though as I had those 12x12 squares to use.
So, let me go back to the beginning.
remember the water heater closet?? How the wood that the heater used to sit on got so wet and looked so ugly??
Well, I have my eye on using part of that closet for storage (that will be a different blog).
I really can't do anything about the ugly walls....but there is floor space in there and I want it.
So, I got it into my head to do something about the floors.....peel and stick vinyl squares !
So, I made a trip to Lowe's and found some neat tiles for 38 cents a piece!
Really!
So, I bought  more than I needed for sure, because it has been over 35 years since I did anything with these..

So here is the cupboard, see the ugly wood?? It actually is amazing it is still in one piece what with 5 hot water heaters giving up the ghost in 25 years. Isn't it??
Anyway, so I cleaned it up as best I could without adding any water.....
Then, I measured and did a "dry" layout to see how I wanted the squares....
The first three really just went down....no real measuring to do. I had decided that I wanted the little cut pieces to be in the back....
The first three were just "peel and stick"....
 The rest I needed to measure and cut. I chose to use kitchen scissors...not the best method as it tends to "rumple" the vinyl...however, this is a closet...so no biggie. If this were your floor, use a linoleum cutter.

Looks better, doesn't it?? It's cleaner and now its useable space.
Anything that goes in there has to be water safe and non flammable....afterall, this is the water heater closet and furnace closet.
I'll let you know what I decide, but Hubby has plans if I move something....
Hope you have a great day!
Nancy

No comments: