Monday, March 21, 2016

The Baby Shower

So, my daughters and I with their good friend's Mother, threw a baby shower for their friend.
We started planning before Christmas!
Saturday was the day......
Each person had a component they were responsible for, so it made it go smoothly. It was one of those baby showers that had the "guys" come after the girls had their time.....so it was an all day affair.
One of the things we did was seen on Pinterest....have everyone write something on blocks of fabric and turn it into a quilt. Bet you can guess who is responsible for putting together said quilt.....ya, me.
So, I ordered months ago permanent fabric pens so everyone could make pictures or what have you.
These are the pens I ordered...designed for fabric, you let them dry and set with a dry iron ...simple!

I also ordered Bella Solids in white from Amazon.....
What started off being kinda  slow ended up being one of the most popular parts of the party...even the guys got into it! We ended up with some very creative and colorful artwork...some of which will be treasured for years!
I had cut some squares of fish and sea fabric to go with the theme, so yesterday I pieced it all together. The only thing I didn't tell anyone, was be sure to leave 1/4" or more around the edge for piecing...so some names and pictures are in the seam.....
 Here I am laying out the squares....Hubby and I had to make a couple extra squares...just a couple though....aren't they cute??
Here it is on the ironing board, there is a lot going on in the quilt what with the squares I had cut and all the squares that were made. On retrospect, when I planned it in my head I should have maybe had solids instead, but I didn't. So, what I am going to do is get some solid fabric and create a border to frame it instead. It will give the eye a place to rest and that should do the trick. I hope. I also ordered in advance a backing, but I will see if I use it....it is also "under the sea" themed. The whole shower and the baby's room is "Finding Nemo" which is actually a thing for themes....However, it is almost impossible to find fabric...I ordered some from Ebay for the quilt I made for her....
Yeah, you heard that right....she will get two quilts...
I think this one might be a favorite....it would be great with all its colors for baby....
Isn't that idea of writing on the squares cute??
Just thought I'd share it with you ...in case any of you have showers....
It could even be used at a Bridal shower....
Have a great day....
Nancy

2 comments:

Backwoods Babies said...

Oh my goodness that is so gorgeous! I so wish I could sew. You have a talent for sure.

xoxo,
Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

Karen said...

What a wonderful idea. Its really a special gift, so many loving hands contributing makes it a perfect keepsake. Thanks so much for visiting me and have a wonderful holiday weekend.