Monday, March 7, 2016

Newest Baby Quilt

We have a nephew, who's wife is pregnant with a son, after having had girls...they are thrilled.
It gave me an excuse to create!
So, I saw a design on Pinterest. I had Hubby print it for me and I created a large star from it...Then, I got to create with quilting, my favorite.....
Here is what I did. I found a quilting design on Pinterest, had Hubby print that too. He blew it up and I traced the pattern onto the fabric with a fabric pen (erasable with water).
What I got was a pattern to follow and adapt....
 This is the center of the quilt...I copied a feathered heart motif onto the center and stitched it....Remember, I do not have a Long Arm Quilting machine, just a home sewing machine, and I am no expert....but I think with free motion I did pretty darn good. Then, with the seam lines around I did freehand feathers...But, It was still missing something...just didn't know what I wanted to do.....
 I took the same motif, and switched it a bit so the name of the baby sat inside.....
 After, I did the feathered heart around the baby's name,(which is in the bottom corner) I went back and did "pebbles" around the blank area of the heart between the feathers in the center....now it makes it look more complete! And I got to practice another technique.....
In each corner of the quilt, I did a little feathered heart, and then filled the empty area with meandering quilting....it just makes it more finished.

 I used the walking foot to stitch in the ditch and create the lines of quilting....

The navy blue print got meandering quilting also...I wasn't happy with the walking foot and the way it was moving the fabric....so then I went back to just free motion...You can see here the "shells" that I created....they look more like feathers actually here, which is fine ...adds to the "feather" look.
Here is the finished quilt...the binding is on, just not finished yet...
I think it looks pretty cool and you can see more....how the feather quilting looks....I think, for a home machine in free motion, its pretty good...Hopefully our nephew will appreciate it.....
Nancy

2 comments:

Connie said...

You do such pretty work . . . this will be treasured I am sure :)

Sarah Kenny said...

Wow that is beautiful:) Well done. Thanks for your comment on my post!