Sunday, March 13, 2016

Making Sauerkraut

Ok, I know what you are thinking. Just buy the stuff...right. No, you are thinking, why??
Well, recently, I've learned that fermented foods are very good for you, if they are done in an old fashioned manner.  You see, many of us have issues with our digestion....and a great deal of that has to do with limited probiotics in our systems.
Fermented foods carry a number of good for you strains of bacteria that you need for ultimate health.
Just look at different sites online and you will see, I am not crazy.
Besides, raw fermented kraut is just plain yummy!
We joined a group, Fermentation Farm, and have been learning about this kind of fermentation.
So, Hubby and I decided to jump on the bandwagon and learn....
The classes offered aren't until April, so we ordered some beginner kits online and followed a recipe and you know what....it isn't that hard...
We will see if we succeed...but here is what we have....so far.
Here I am shredding the cabbage. The setting for this blade is a bit too small I think, but it will do this time. Next time, I will use the food processor, or just chop it by hand. Word to the wise, be sure to use that plastic handle thingy....I found out the hard way....shredded part of my thumb.....

 Some of our supplies came from Ferment Tools online...a good source....
 I ordered two glass weights to hold down the cabbage under the brine.....
 Here are the two quart jars....you can see the weight in the jar. Also note, that there are two different air gap thingys, one is from Ferment Tools, one is from a vendor on Etsy.......
So, in about a week we will taste test, but it can take over 10 days depending on temps in the room etc....A cool dark place would be best....Since we aren't hot yet, I have now covered them with a towel to block light...which would make them not work....
I will keep ya posted.
What's next on the fermenting list?? Kombucha!
Have you heard of it??
Well, we are on board with that too....that in itself gives you many probiotics just in a glass full....and it sort of tastes like soda....basically it is soda, but natural....
Have a great day!!
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I will send MyHero over for some when he is able to eat. lol...he can have my share, too...but good for you for taking on the task of making it yourself. xo Diana

Jenn said...

I would love to do this. It is supposed to be so good for us, but I'm really intimidated by the whole process. Good luck on yours!