Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Baby Quilt

Ok, so we had a Super Bowl Party on Sunday....Hubby wanted to have people over. Who would've guessed he was so social?? So, I couldn't quilt on Sunday as I had planned.....
But come Monday, I got to work.....
And I have to say work it was!
Four broken needles, and many broken threads later.....





Why so many broken needles?? Well, the first one was due to the thread getting caught under the bobbin winder guide....
The rest probably from the quilt pulling against the needle.....afterall, free motion quilting is somewhat fickle....
Everything you see is all free motion and free hand...no stencils, no lines....
I used the wool batting to give a bit more plush....hence the puffiness...
And I discovered that when it is Santa Ana winds here in Southern California....don't do sewing of this magnitude...the lack of moisture may have been part of my problem...
I was using silk thread, which being a natural fiber, it may not have had as much resiliency in sewing, thus the broken threads and perhaps some of the issue with broken needles...along with the quilt itself pulling on the needle. I also changed the free motion foot three quarters of the way through to a different one that kept a different pressure on the fabric. That was weird....perhaps I need a new free motion open toe foot....it's been fine even with a wool batting...but I do quilt....a great deal...maybe it's worn out??
In any case, I like the puffiness of the quilt...and think it turned out ok. I wanted to do more quilting to it, but with the issues I was having and my back was grumpy, so I finished with what I had....
Next stop is binding.....
What do you think??
Have a great day??
Nancy

No comments: