Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sunday is Gardening day

It is spring here in Southern California. Not other way to see it. Yeah, we might get some more rain, but spring is here....the peach tree started blooming early, but it always does, so I paused. Then, yesterday I noticed the apricots are both starting...they are the true markers. If they bloom it must be spring!
So, I have a date with the garden.
The kale is done....
We had dear friends for dinner last night, and I harvested the last of the good kale and created a kale and arugula with pear salad last night....it was pretty tasty. However, the kale got attacked by aphids and other bugs...so it's time. It is not a warm weather plant....
Then, the parsley has gone to seed as has the arugula and cilantro. Parsley I can dehydrate and keep dried for ages...not so much the cilantro....


Beds will be cleared and revitalized for new crops and then.......
I will move out front....


Along with these plants that need a little tending...I will be planting the tomato boxes. Yes, I am.
It is time since I will be planting from seed.
Last year the best tomatoes were the ones from seed. Directly planted where they would live they grew big and strong...I will plant 5 varieties...one in each box...so I will keep you up to date on those.
Have a great weekend.
Nancy

No comments: