Wednesday, January 6, 2016

What to do with a Rainy Day

Today was very wet in our neck of the woods. A wonderful event but not the kind of day to go out in.
So, what do you do on a rainy day?
I do projects....
I finished a quilt top...
Then, since I am waiting for a name to embroider, I hung it up to wait for being finished.
So, now what?
Well, I had ordered a grain sack from my favorite seller on Easy (Grainsack) and had washed it and ripped it so it was open (that is a lot of ripping)...
So, I painted the legs of the ottoman that I was going to cover.
Why you ask?? Well, the ottoman I have to admit (don't judge now...) is mostly for the dogs to get up and down from the bed safely (it is a good 30" from the floor) and we also use it to sit on to put on shoes .......
 This is the ottoman, in its original upholstery....it belongs to the big wing chair in our living room, but its a bit big and suits this job nicely...but the color doesn't go in the master bedroom, so for years I have created a parade of covers...
This is one of the covers...made of an old woven bedspread, which as you can see has holes from repeated doggie feet and washings....
So, I got this idea that maybe a grain sack (the really thickly woven kind) might do the trick.
So, I ordered it, with a nice black stripe...
First thing I needed to do was paint those feet, which is why the covers were to the floor before...




Yes, that's French Linen by Annie Sloan...(and the messy kitchen, told you not to judge....)
The legs got waxed with clear and dark wax...
Then, I got some polyester batting over the upholstery...
Then, the grain sack....I cut it. Yup, I did. I know, hard...but it had to be done....
I cut it so I could stitch it together the way I needed....
Then after stitching I stapled it to the underside...for added stability...I hope....
So, this is it. I plan on putting on some gimp or tacks, but, it is raining cats and dogs outside, so that can wait.....I think it's pretty cute....what do you think??
I figure it will last a bit. If not, well the staples will be fairly easy to remove and try again.
That's what I do with a rainy day....
How about you??
Nancy

No comments: