Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Lazy Susan

I have one of those cupboards in the peninsula that has the two tier lazy susan.
Do you have one?
Now-a-days there are alternatives to these things, that seemed at one time to be the answer to a corner cabinet. But, they have a serious drawback....the plastic one, such as I have, have a tendency to collapse or fail in some way.
I was putting things away and realized with horror, that the lazy susan was about to fall over....
So, I removed everything on both levels...
As you can see, it is listing to the left in this picture. With everything off that shelf it was a bit better....
You see, I am a quilter, a gardener and a canner and I do have a knack for collecting canning rings, lids, grabbers, funnels, measuring cups etc...
So, I got down (no picture here...) with my Hubby's baseball cap with a light on it and a screwdriver determined to fix the problem.
The center rod slips up and into a hole at the top. That is held in place by another ring that with set screws locks it into place. Sounds easy, right? Well, it's not too easy....as you have to get down and in and then crane your neck up to tweak the two set screws...
Once those are tight, you are ready to organize....
Well, it is stormy today...and I don't feel like going out...so why not? Besides there are things I don't use that can help organize the miscellaneous rings, lids etc...

This is why the shelf failed...I kept putting everything on it...I am admittedly a "slob"....No, I'm creative and therefore things get organized when there is time....such as today....
 So, I found a container that I had used years ago to store the large rings....
And then a smaller one for the "regular mouth" rings...
I then found something for those white plastic rings you see....Those are fantastic for storing dried goods such as beans, rice etc....

See?? It's better...The rest of the canning supplies went back to the garage where they are kept and now measuring spoons are in this cute little pot that I never use...I just like the pot...now it has a job.
Do you have a corner cabinet like this?? How do you use it?? Mine is the "baking" cupboard .....
And imagine...it only took about 30 mins total!!
Have a great weekend!
Nancy

No comments: