Saturday, January 9, 2016

New Year....New Slipcover

Well, I have mentioned that I bought several (17) yards of linen fabric to make a slipcover for the sofa in the living room.  The sofa has gotten a bit, well, gross from the labs rubbing up against it. After all the years that it has been a blue color it was time to A) cover the grime that I couldn't get off and B) have a new look.
So, before Christmas, I ordered the fabric and washed it, then ironed it. And then, in my mind I went through the steps I'd use to make a slipcover.
If you look through the internet, there are many tutorials....
Having done many slipcovers over the years, the ones that are the most accomplished have been done in the cut and pin method...which ends up being truest to the item being covered. What do I mean by that?
Well, you cut pieces, somewhat close to what you need and pin with the wrong side up (right sides together ....
This sofa is one of the easiest I've had to cover...simple, straight lines....
This sofa was my Mom's.....and I love it because it is low, so when I sit in the chair across from it, it doesn't block the view. Friends that visit, well, they tolerate it, it is low...
In fact, when I inherited it 14 years ago, I had it recovered in the beautiful blue and it was done perfectly. The fabric is still in great shape, just the skirt and part of the arms at dog level had developed a grime that couldn't be cleaned off....
So, when I started making the slipcover, the main goal was to make it washable....
That takes planning......
Here you can see the blue fabric a bit, but what I wanted to show you is a basic idea of what I did. I was going for simple...no tailoring here, or piping. I counted on the piping of the sofa to come through from the blue cover underneath....
This picture shows the first step...I measured out the back piece and then used T pins to hold it in place...this was like having someone help me with the project! Love the T pins!


Then, I cut a piece to be the front of the back, and pinned that together.....

Then, I continued onto the arms ....

This picture shows the front of the back, which drops down and meets about halfway onto the seat...this, the back, front back and arms became all one piece, which can be removed and washed....if need be.
What I did for the skirt, is make that an entire separate piece that can be easily removed for washing...so that piece got reinforced with a picot stitch on all the raw edges.
Speaking of raw edges, simplicity in mind, I used the selvedge that was on this fabric as it is easiest, I didn't want to have to hem....and there was no marking on the selvedge so it works for me. If you do this, you might want a more "polished" look and hem.....
This picture shows the sections put together...The "skirt" is T pinned into place to hold it, it is all under the cushions, so why not??
 The cushions are simply "wrapped" like a pillow, and whipped stitched....I didn't want to deal with zippers...and whip stitching is easy to remove and replace when needed. The detail on the previous upholstery kind of shows making piping unnecessary. The trick is to get it tight! Linen is a forgiving and marvelous fabric to work with in this type of application....
 Here it is, done! This took me one day....you can see that the skirt is separate...but that was the plan, just lift the cushions, remove T pins, and take that piece off to be washed. If the lower part of the arms need washing the whole main section will have to come off....

Ta Da!! Finished! Isn't Hubby kind to let me do this?? Buying the fabric, about $120...for 17 yards. I only used 12...so oh darn I have leftover!
The fabric I used is the same that used on the slipcover and drapes in the master bedroom, it is the "mixed natural" by Fabrics-store.com. I love this site....they deliver almost as fast as Amazon...the price is very reasonable and I love to work with it. I would recommend it to anyone (and have) as it is so reasonable.
Now,  I have an entirely new look without the cost of buying new or paying for someone else to make the slipcover. I had a wing chair slipcovered several years ago and paid a fortune for it. Why, because they had to wash and iron the linen and doing a slipcover can be harder than just upholstering it. But this method is easy, well sort of, it takes the same washing and ironing, but because I didn't do piping I saved on the fabric amount and time!
Well, hope you have a great day!! I'm off to get back to doing household things like...laundry!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Great job. I do my slipcovers basically the same way-but I usually put a zipper in one end of the "pillowcase" cushion cover. It looks just great and gives others confidence that they can do it, too. Question for you. How much material did you have left from the 17 yards? That is always the hardest thing for me to do-figure out how much yardage I need for slipcovers! xo Diana