Tuesday, January 12, 2016

New Year....Many projects

Well, let's see....
I've done several things in the last couple of days....
One, I kinda "redecorated" the guest bath...you know little "tweaks"....
 One of the things I did, really small...was get this cute basket out and fill it with towels...there isn't a linen closet in this room, and one has to go out and around...so a basket with some hand towels and washcloths is handy...I added the number tag which just makes it cute....
 I've had this basket of lavender in the bathroom for quite a while actually...I just wanted it show you...

This is the wooden sign I made a few years ago to guide guests to the bathroom.....

So, beyond those tweaks...I have been sewing...of course.
A dear friend almost family is having a baby so I of course have been busy. Yesterday, I made "burp" cloths...just a few...to add to her gifts.
I used the triple pre-folded diapers...they are so absorbent and cozy. I just make them "cuter"....
 What made this project different from other times I've made these, is, using a larger piece of material, I realized that I could quilt the piece....oh yeah!!

 I had leftover quilt squares and then I quilted....so much fun....

I didn't use any adhesive on these, not really needed, just zig-zagged them on and then quilted..
See?? I've been busy....
Then, while I've been sewing...the dehydrator has been running....
I have a huge parsley plant that I can't ignore...so I harvested quite a few and put those in the dehydrator....
In addition, we had gone to Costco, and one of the things we bought was an industrial size garlic bag...one of the kind that the garlic is all peeled?? yeah, I couldn't resist....but it is a ton of garlic, the bag is 4 lbs....
Realizing that I couldn't possibly use the garlic all up before it would go bad, I put some in the dehydrator....
Here is a pointer if you decide to do the same....
Cut the garlic up.
I just put all the cloves on the screen with the parsley and let it go for two days.....
yeah...it doesn't dry the same....
Cutting it up will allow the cloves to get air inside and dry much better....
So, I brought it in, put the cloves that did dry in a jar and cut the rest up and put it back in the dehydrator.
The parsley is a no brainer....just cut and dry....
It dries beautifully in a day or two. Just be sure to remove the bigger stalks....
 Here is the parsley...It is so dry it breaks easily from the smaller stems....In this jar it will keep over a year....I will be adding more dried parsley to this jar.....
 Here is the garlic as I am cutting it ....very sticky...

Hope this gives you some good ideas....
Have a great day...
Nancy

1 comment:

Connie said...

Hi Nancy, You've been a busy girl :) We have been wanting to grow our own garlic, but I guess the trick with it is that you plant it in the fall. So, if we can remember to plant it next fall, this idea of yours will come in handy. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day.
Your blogging sister,
Connie :)