Saturday, January 16, 2016

Less Is More

Well, I've been putting things back...and having fun too weeding the collections. I have too much stuff.
So, here is what I've done so far.....
I raised the height of the drapes in the dining room, to give the illusion that the ceiling and window is higher....(course I didn't realize that my drapes shrank a bit when I washed them...)

I figured that it was better to have the drapes almost two inches off the ground, especially with the dogs as one lies there and tends to pull the drapes when he does...
However I do like the look....just a bit cleaner.....and taller.......
 I streamlined the coffee/bar area....not as many knick knacks....just a few for a comfortable feel...
The wine glasses did go back after as they hang underneath this shelf....
Did you know I made this shelf?? I made it from a shipping crate about 25 years ago...added a shelf in the middle and molding...
It has been many colors over the years...first it was white, then sponge painted, then beige, and the interior of it has changed too. It is just the right size....for knick knacks...
Want to see what it looked like 2 years ago??


Basically its the same....but much more clutter. And, the back of the shelf is yellowy...ick...
I'm thinking that maybe I will paint the doors on the bar black, instead of the flour de lis,all black now...it just seems time....what do you think??

Then I rearranged the hutch....


I'm definitely going for a streamlined look...it will be easier to clean and its more restful....
I then went to the guest bathroom too, and redid the shelf in there....
It is basically the same actually...I love these little cottages...they were my Mom's but somehow they touch my heart. They are good for now, and I feel like the little print is the their backdrop.....
Another place I "attacked" was the shelf above the sink in the kitchen...
I had chickens there. Somehow, I am over them....too many, maybe, but it is time to be done with that collection. The chickens are on Craigslist (orange county) and I put my pitcher collection up there. Maybe someday they will leave...but for now they'll stay...

No comments: