Tuesday, January 26, 2016

How to seat 12 (or more) at the same table

You've heard me talk about it. The need for a new table. However, after searching high and low for months (actually years), I came to the same conclusion every time. I use our present dining table as a "farm table" and a new table given its expense would do away with that ability....
I mean I put down drop cloths and paint on this table, I quilt on this table, it is a staging area and everything else as well as a dining table.
Yet, our family has grown and Thanksgiving with 10 around the table was, well, cozy.
I lusted after many tables on every website you can look at for tables....and came back to what we have.
Then, I talked to our neighbor if he had ideas....I needed a table that could go to 120" to seat 12....he said he could get me a 4'x10' beautiful piece of 3/4" plywood to go on top.
Really??
That is something I had thought of, but at Home Depot you can only get up to 8', so I wrote it off.
Cool!!
So, here is what we have. A well used dining table that when it is fully extended is 40" x 95". That really only seats 8. 10 is a push.
With the top, at 48"x 120" we can seat 12 and even push to 16!! Really.
For our "event" we need seating for 12. So we rented chairs which we will pick up the day before....
And so we have this HUGE table in our dining room until the "event"....
Where is Carson??? Darn, we gave him the time off.....



Yup, in all its glory.....
The question after the "event" will be storage.....but we will use this I'm sure at least three times a year....if not more....
If not, the neighbor who took his truck, picked it up, sanded it to make the edges and corners smooth, said he'd take it.....paying us back.
So, there you go. An option when planning a party.
The rental company that we are using is local....they also rent real tables....like you'd buy in stores...but they are almost the cost of buying...gorgeous, but not an option here. Besides, what would we do with the table we have??
Anyway, I'll keep you updated...
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

GREAT idea!!! We did buy a large table when we moved into this house- that comfortably seats 12 BUT it also "collapses" to seat 8 and that is how I have it most of the time. Otherwise it just looks HUGE. Glad you got it figured out! Happy Gathering!!!! xo Diana