Sunday, November 29, 2015

Shifting Into the Christmas Season

Last night I made an awesome Shepherd's Pie with the leftover turkey, veggies, mashed potatoes and a pie crust....
I started with chopped onions that I let just start to caramelize in butter in the skillet, then added leftover chopped celery that I hadn't used in stuffing (but you can chop some...) and some finely chopped butternut squash...and let those get happy in the pan for a while.
Meanwhile, in a separate dish I made some cream sauce. For that I used butter and Pamela's baking mix (a gluten free all purpose mix) and added almond milk (really!). When the cream sauce was ready I added it to the veggie mix and then added the chopped turkey. (Now, that chopped turkey was turkey that had been cooked all night in crockpot to get the last of the meat off of the turkey carcass which is what I do every year to get a really awesome turkey stock...)
I then put the filling into the crust, that I had pre-cooked in the oven and cooled, and then I topped the filling with reheated mashed potatoes that I heated a bit adding a touch more milk to soften it so it can be spread on top. Top with a touch of butter and then bake at 350 degrees for about 30 mins or so until the potatoes get a touch of brown to them...
Yup, it was tasty!
I served with green beans that I had left in the freezer, but it would be awesome with a salad too....
Here it is three days after Thanksgiving, and I haven't even put out Christmas stuff. Usually, I've put all the Christmas stuff out, minus the tree, which has to be a fresh cut. (much to my nose's chagrin)
So, sitting here in the living room by the fire, I decided that it was time to put something out....
I went to the armoire and pulled out my red and white quilt I made a couple of years ago and the pillow covers I made....There! My extent of decorating for now....
I have one of those villages you can put up...the Dept. 56 villages...and I don't feel it this year either..that makes about three. I think I'm over it. I offered it to my daughter who just moved this year...it would be awesome on her counter and she always put it up anyway....
I may or may not put the red slipcovers on the chairs....
I will put up the Christmas flag....maybe today...
I will do something with the planters out front,just not sure what....I'd like to put Poinsettias in them, but they might be fake....
Otherwise, we'll see...it isn't even December yet, I've got time....
So, do you go all out decorating??
Let me know,
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I hear you- I am not feeling some things this year either. I finally gave my village to my daughter after I didn't put it up for 4 years in a row. I am glad she will enjoy it. I collected it for at least 20 years so had lots of pieces. It was time....

I don't have anything done inside yet either-but that will come this week, I hope.

Your shepherd's pie sounds amazing. Just realized I have not eaten since 11am! hmmmm...leftovers again...... xo Diana