Sunday, November 15, 2015

Putting Christmas Presents on Rush

I don't know about you, but suddenly, I am feeling the urgency of Christmas presents to get done.
I have a small twin bed in the craft room and it is full of projects all laid out...and many are for Christmas. Yikes! I have been busy playing with the "Orange Peel" quilt....



And this is NOT a Christmas gift (thank goodness)...but a baby quilt for a future someone, still unknown by me....
However, I bagged it up the other day, realizing that with Thanksgiving close at hand, the other gifts better take center stage....
So, with that done, I pulled out what needed doing....
I started on some linen pillowcases....
I tried a new to me stitch on my sewing machine...the ladder stitch...traditionally for joining two pieces of fabric with the ladder stitch and leaving gaps so to speak...but I am not so crafty as that.
I did however, create a hem piece to join to the main part of the pillowcase. Even though I am not an expert, it still looks totally cool. It gives a lovely decorative look that is awesome (well I think so).


Yes, that is the selvage, thank you for pointing it out. I kept it. I like the "rustic" feel of it and it gives a true line to work with...
Have you ever worked with Linen?? Yeah, it is difficult. It will look like you have a straight edge when you cut it, but then it is suddenly, frayed and no longer straight...., so being a beginner with the ladder stitch, I kept the selvage....I needed that extra durability and edge....
So, using a French seam, I made the pillowcases....they came out a bit narrow, but still fit a pillow....
I am going to make two more pillowcases. I have just enough linen. I bought this "luxury" linen and wanted to buy more, they are sold out....of course....
I will make the remaining linen work....
The ladder stitch doesn't show as well in the picture, but it is very cool...I think. It would be awesome  in a color too...very decorative....
Have you ever slept on linen?? It is definitely wonderful...and the more you wash it, the softer it gets! It is also resistant to bacteria and viruses, and resists the stains from Hubby's head when he sleeps...and believe it or not, he snores less, sleeps better (so do I) and wears like iron. I have antique sheets that I purchased off of Ebay that are still going strong. Eventually, with modern washing machines...they will wear out. I do try to hang to dry....dryers do beat them up....but still they wear like iron. I have become a sheet snob.....liking only linen to sleep.....
Ok, well, I am off to do more in the craft room....busy...busy...busy..
Have a great day!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

I love linen but it is an expensive "sleep" splurge. I do have linen pillowcases and love them...they are old, soft and so comfortable.
I still have so much to do for Christmas and am just trying to get through Thanksgiving first.
Hope you have a great night- xo Diana