Saturday, November 21, 2015

Just a few days left and counting.....

So, let's see, I've been busy...some of it not for Thanksgiving....
For example...remember how I told you I was looking for white plates that match??
Yeah, I called my friend and asked her to come along...and really look...it works so much better with an extra set of eyes!
We looked in the all the "expensive" areas and stores....and I saw lots I really liked...but I just couldn't spend that kind of $$$.
We looked at Williams-Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Macy's, Sur La Table, & Marshall's, but still nothing affordable and good looking. I didn't want stoneware...I was hoping for porcelain, but china would be ok....and I wanted 12 that match.
Three years ago, I collected odd plates in white....on purpose...and that worked for a while...but honestly, housing mismatch plates was getting to me....the footprint in the cupboard was too high. And now I wanted matching. I had given some to my daughter for her new place, and the really irregular ones to a thrift store, but it left me with 4 of one style, 5 of another....you know...still mismatch. So, yesterday was the day. I was determined.
But after checking, I was sure the only way was to give into a stock of "buffet" plates...that didn't make me terribly happy. (Those are heavy, large and kinda industrial if that makes sense....)
Then my friend said what about TJ Maxx? Oh, I said, I've been there there wasn't anything....
But...my friend reminded me that there was a different store a city over. So, sure I said, let's just see. There were some adorable plates....but only 4. See? I wanted 12.....
Then she saw a box. A thin box, labeled with 12! No way! Yup, there it was....we opened it up and inside perfectly packed was a really nice plate set...pure white...nice shape, small footprint for a shelf and ...... $19.99!! Yeah! I can do that math!! Then, she found a small box of matching salad/dessert plates...same pattern....$14.99! Yes! Now, those I didn't need...but they match!! How awesome is that??? Those all came home with me ....under budget and now washed and put away....and they look totally awesome with all my other china....now I can mix and match and it will work...everytime!! How perfect is that??

They are simple (I originally was looking for a bit of pattern), but really?? These are perfect...a bit of flare, soft looking and a stack of 12 is perfect in the cupboard.
Then, my daughter came for dinner last night and she and I brainstormed on Thanksgiving dinner with text messages to the other daughter on menu, shopping list, timing and place settings. She came up with three plans of seating depending of whether a couple of friends can come etc....
She even made place cards....


Aren't they cute?? Formal...but not....I love it. In years past, I'd get all the silver out etc...but this year I'm not in the mood for all the silver and what not. So, these are perfect. Perfectly imperfect!
Then, we got the extra chairs out of the garage, and the food warmers...
Remember these?? Yeah, I have three One big one, a medium one and a little one...really....They mostly came from my in-laws house...the little one I picked up for $3 a few years ago....I love them. They are perfect for warming plates and keeping the side dishes warm on Thanksgiving.....I use the little one during the cold months to warm our plates on a regular basis....
So, today, I am cleaning...Hubby is out of town and when he is gone I can really clean.
Oh, and our fireplace is getting a gas log set today! I'll show you that later....that is a whole other story for another time.....
Have a great day!!
Nancy



No comments: