Sunday, November 22, 2015

How to on the candles....

I've been asked...so here goes the very simple technique for making the candles that I showed.....
Find your container for candles, which needs to be heat resistant as you will be pouring hot melted wax into them.
Go to the craft store and buy candle making wax...I bought fragrance free soy wax...which is supposed to be safe to burn.
Also, I bought the little steel pot for melting wax in which looks a bit like a coffee pot...this was the most important purchase for me...as I do not have a microwave and was using the stove.
Place the wax (which I bought already in shredded pieces...if yours is not, you will have to shred it).
Place the pot in another pot of water...much like a double boiler....(which if you have a spare you could use)....
While wax is melting, set up your containers with wicks...I dipped my wick ends into the wax that had started to melt and placed them into the containers. (hint: I used the little bamboo skewers to help).
Let those wicks dry...use another bamboo skewer or pencil to hold the wick in place while you pour the wax that has by now melted.
The soy wax is so easy to use, totally fun.
Wait for the wax in the container to totally cool....takes about 1-2 hours depending on your containers. When it is cool, then trim your wicks....
It makes great gifts, especially if you use fund containers....
I hope that helps!
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I haven't made candles in a long time. Years ago I used to make the ones that you dipped and dipped and dipped and dipped to make tapers. lol Those were WAY too much work.
Your candles turned out beautifully. xo Diana

Barbara Lilian said...

Thank you Nancy, for taking the time giving such detailed instructions for the candle making. Next time I'm in town ( being an hours journey it's not very often ) I will have to spend some time in the art & craft shop, searching out the equipment needed.