Wednesday, October 7, 2015

C'est Fini!!

It's done!! I finished the china cabinet! And.....it is in my daughter's home! Yay!!
So, I have to say, that was hard. My back and knees are most unhappy with working in the garage...next time I do anything like this....it has to be raised up! Bending and stooping and kneeling is just too hard anymore.....
But, I got it done.
 I got these "crystal" knobs for the doors, instead of what was there originally....for a bit of "bling" and just plain fun...
 The base also got "crystal" knobs, just bigger, these came from TJMaxx...
And the handles, well, I tried to replace them, but being so old, they were an odd size, so I just painted them....even painted they are better.....
Waxing was a bit trying as the piece was so big and the weather was so damp....we actually got rain! So, after a night, it buffed up pretty well....
Then, we had to get it to my daughter. It had to be delivered in two trips...one on one day (the base) and then the next. Along with the delivery, went all the boxes in the garage (yay!). Wanna see it today??
 As you can see in the foreground there was a great deal of china collected over the years....
 Isn't it cute now?? Her boyfriend was aghast that I would paint over real wood...Let's face it. This was not an antique, and it wasn't pretty....Now it takes center stage in her dining room (I hope her room-mate likes it...)
 This picture shows you where I couldn't paint and will remind her what it used to look like....The glass doors were nicely put in and I couldn't figure out to take them out....no harm...I just shows what was there to start......
Do you like the Duck Egg Blue inside?? It looks so bright and cheery and is that bit of color she wanted.....
 She couldn't wait to put china in the cabinet....
When we left, she was starting to go through her collection from all these years....
Mission accomplished!
Now, I just have to rearrange the garage so both cars can get back in, because, when I got all those boxes out, it caused a "chain reaction" and it got all messed up....
Hope you have a great day!!
Nancy

5 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Nancy,
That turned out great. Love your color choice and the blue interior. I bet your daughter is beyond thrilled to have it. It will so cute filled with all her stuff. I have started working with stuff raised, too. It is so much easier and sometimes I sit on a little stool to paint, too. I have three more pieces to get done before cold weather sets in. Hope I get these kids well enough that I can paint yet this week.

Connie said...

It looks wonderful . . . so pretty :)

BarbaraAnn said...

Lovely piece. I hope the "room mate" had a change of heart.

BarbaraAnn said...

Lovely piece. I hope the "room mate" had a change of heart.

Deanies Stash said...

Nancy, I love how this turned out! I wouldn't have given a second glance to the piece the way it was but paint transformed it into a beauty! Your daughter is lucky to have this to store her china in. It looks great with her pieces in it. Good job!!

Dianne