Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Slipcovering a Wing Chair

Ok, so I blew it. I forgot all the little pictures!
But, I wanted to share with you what my daughter and I did yesterday!
We slipcovered the wing chair that my other daughter bought years ago at a garage sale and then sold to this daughter so she could have a chair in her new place!
It was extra beat up with the fabric ripping and foam coming out....since no one can afford to recover chairs....we decided to make a slipcover.
At first we were going to use dropcloths...but the brand that Lowe's used to carry (Blue Hawk) that was so very wonderful, they no longer carry. Instead they have some awful brand that isn't the same at all. Trust me, we bought one just to see. We always bought 6 x 9 dropcloths and washed them two or three times....and they'd be perfect.....not so anymore....This brand just gets worse with each wash...cheap, cheap....and they have a seam! (The old brand didn't have a seam).
Sooooo, we found linen.
YUp, linen at $8 a yard. Yup. We washed it once and dried it and then ironed a bunch. It is wonderful. Just the right look!
She chose a "natural" linen that is so pretty. Since her house is done in grays, I was worried with a beigey color, but in fact this linen has gray undertones that makes it perfect for the room and frankly, almost anything would be better.
We used  duct tape to go over the worst ripped areas of the chair and then got busy.
It took almost 6 hours and 5 1/2 yards of the linen...but it looks pretty good I think. No, it isn't perfect, but so much better.....
She just has to hem it to the length she wants... but It looks pretty good....
Hope you have a great day!
Nancy

4 comments:

Connie said...

Oh, I did that a few years ago . . . it took me a full eight hours,
but I do love the results.
You did a great job!
Your new blogging sister,
Connie :)

Picnic Bench said...

I love it. I love the result. Well, you did a great job!

Tara Lehman said...

Your wing chair looks great. The linen you chose is perfect and you are very brave to recover a wing chair! Fantastic job!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

What a lot of work but it looks great! She just needs a quilted pillow from Mom for the chair now :)