Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Adventures in Jelly and Pickling

So, today was the day to make the pepper jelly from the peppers I picked from our garden!
So exciting!
I chopped the peppers in the Cusinart and then put them into the jelly maker.....and then put the mixture in the canner....





And so, while I had the canner out, I decided to harvest the pickling cukes I had in the garden.
However, according to the recipe from Ball, I was short on pickling cukes. No problem, I thought, just run to the market and buy a few more.....
Wrong.
I went to a local market, with a name that starts with "V" and the manager was incredibly rude! I asked for pickling cukes, he handed me a bag of persian cukes....not what I wanted. I tried to explain, he cut me off! I tried again, he said, "you want gherkins"....no, I want pickling cukes....and then he cut me off again and said  that didn't carry those....He was so rude, it is hard to give you the picture. But, Off I want to Stater Bros. They also didn't carry pickling cukes.... off the Sprouts, same there....then I went to an Asian market down the street...they had some, not great but would do.....
Can you imagine? No one knows what pickling cukes are! I so live in the wrong part of the country!
Anyway, I made my small batch of bread and butter pickles......



So, that is my big adventure....using the jam/jelly maker and canner I had shelf stable pepper jelly in 40 mins total. The bread and butter pickles (after getting the extras from the store)40 mins. That's not bad. And while it's busy canning in the canner I can write you my story!
Well, I'm off to go get some more coffees.....
Have a great day.
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Wow- Never saw one of those canners before! Amazing!!!! My Hero would love pepper jelly...I can't eat peppers but he can. I may just show him this so he can drool a bit! lol xo Diana