Sunday, May 17, 2015

Zucchini Bread

Well, our suburban garden is not a farm...not big at all. However, I do seem to squeeze produce out of it.
Out front in boxes are mostly tomatoes, but in one box is a couple of zucchini plants. They seem to be doing well. We've had zucchini twice already from two meager little plants, and this time I missed some so they got big....like zucchini do. One was cut up and cooked as it was still quite tender and served three. And the other still tender but large zucchini got shredded for zucchini bread.
I used a new recipe that is gluten free. It is on the Pamela's baking & pancake mix bag. It turned out quite well I have to admit....I'm sitting here this AM having a piece with my coffee.

Now, this picture doesn't look like much...but trust me, its good.
Want the recipe? Well, I'll print it here

It is called "Zucchini Loaf Cake"              2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups Pamela's mix                                    1/4 tsp nutmeg
                                                                    1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt                                                        1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed                      1/4 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
2 eggs
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped nuts...optional

This yields on loaf. Preheat oven to 350. Grate zucchini and then squeeze zucchini in paper towel to reduce moisture and set aside.
Whisk together the Pamela's, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and sugar. Stir in vanilla. Add dry ingredient to wet and mix together. Fold in zucchini. Put into a greased loaf pan and place in oven for 50-60 mins. Test with a toothpick if it comes out clean it is done.
This cake is quite moist and yummy.
They say you can put in nuts....I think you could put in raisins too...
So easy....good thing....its zucchini season!
Have a great day.
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

OMGOSH- I LOVE zucchini bread! I used to make a chocolate loaf of it, too. I am copying your recipe over to my files. We won't have zucchini here for several weeks yet. xo Diana