Friday, April 17, 2015

The Frame and the Quilt

Okay, so yesterday I told you about a surprise......so today I will show you.....
First, if you have been following my blog, you know I have a soft spot for frames. Yup, frames....
It all started when we redid the bathroom....I found two frames that changed the whole way we did the bathroom and those frames became the mirrors for the bathroom.


The frames weren't this color, in fact they were that horrid brassy color with those awful insets of velvet. My friend showed me how to remove the inset and I painted them, first a brown under color (created with Primer Red and Olive Green ASCP), then went over them with Coco and then wax. I had a professional do the mirror.
After those frames, I looked for more frames.....and found one for a print that needed framing....which hangs in the bedroom next to the door to the bathroom....
That one got painted in the same way.....
Then I found two matching smaller frames, same style, and we put a print from a trip inside those, they were also painted the same way....
Although with these, I put just a bit of old white on details.....
I vowed, being somewhat enamored with these types of frames I would get them when I saw them....for a good price though....
I found one last year, it went here...
This one is in French Linen in the dining room.....
If you know me at all, you know I love to layer frames....It's like a giant frame and  matting....it draws the eye into the art with art. Yeah, I think frames are art in themselves....and yes, yes I am smitten.....
It is a bit crazy I know, but really, why not?
So, that being said, and history laid out...here is what I found....a frame, in that style, for $5. Yes! Really! $5 and of course it was a really awful "antique brass" and an inset, but no longer...it is beautiful in French Linen and no inset.....

...in my front hall.
I played with the paint on this one...with touches of primer red, old ochre and french linen....just because....
I think it makes a sweet vignette....
Anyway....I like them...
Tomorrow, I will show you the quilt. With all but its binding...I finished it yesterday!!
Hope you have a great day!
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

GREAT frames. It is amazing all the different looks/feels you can get with something as simple as a frame.

Great job with the paint there, too! xo Diana