Saturday, April 11, 2015

New quilt....in the works

What did you do this week? Did you have kids at home for Spring Break? (We used to call it Easter Break....but now I'm just showing my age....)
Did you go somewhere wonderful? Make something?
Here I don't have children in our home....I have young adults in their 30's (that I can't believe). And now I have a grand-baby who is 6 months old.
I have been doing babysitting and I went shopping with a friend and gardening. This week was a blur...it felt like I wasn't home much....
However, I did manage to put together squares for a new quilt, made from a "layer cake" and a "charm pack".....an interesting design I saw done online. Very cool.
You take a 10" square and set a 5" square on top, then fold, iron and stitch two sides, then press and turn and do it again so that the 5" square is stitched into the larger square which becomes about 8 6/8" give or take. No cutting, just sewing!
Well, they go together quite quickly....and become .....
42 squares.....
Here you se I am already playing with placement and strips....
All the fabric I used here were Rue de Indienne and they are by Moda....
The packs of fabric are precut and assembled so that colors work....and a no-brainer....
Well, one does have to think a little....
See the slips of paper? It takes that if you want to assemble them correctly.




 And then, after spending quite a bit for layer cakes, charm packs and strips for "window-panes", I realized I hadn't figured backing. Yikes!
So, I was determined to find fabric in the closet for backing.....
Ha! I had three to choose from that were possible...and this one wins....
Well, it would be best to order yardage of the same fabric from the front, but this was only $4 at a thrift store and soft and a little heavy, but it also mirrors the squares from the front...so I think it works....only problem is I have to cut in half, turn and stitch it to fit.....oh well....
But, today is not going to be a sewing day....sadly. I get to go to a baby shower! Yup, my thread time will have to wait.....
Hope you have a great day....and get to create something....
Nancy

1 comment:

Rajkot said...

Thanks for writing in such an encouraging post. I had a glimpse of it and couldn’t stop reading till I finished. I have already bookmarked you.
pediatric dentist in india