Thursday, April 23, 2015

Making Lemon Curd

So, remember the tea party I am having?
It can't be a traditional tea party without lemon curd....right? Well, I looked at pre-made lemon curd....and those little jars are anywhere from $8.95-$12.95 for a little tiny jar!
Well, I have lemons, and there are recipes out there; many recipes to choose from. So, I looked and decided to trust Ina Gardners recipe....you know her as the Barefoot Contessa. (recipe at the end...) So, I got busy....



Basically, it's lemon zest, sugar, butter, eggs and salt. Yup, that's it. And once it's all mixed you cook it over a double boiler until it gets thick which is about 170 degrees....I used a candy thermometer to watch it as I stirred and stirred (which you do non-stop) until it's thick. Then, you cool it. I chose to put it into canning jars (I have lots) and into the fridge for Sunday! This is how much it made....2 pints! That adds up to at least $30 worth.....
Total time? 20 mins start to finish! Yup...
I plan on putting the curd in these....
These were not expensive and a real time saver...besides I am awful with pastry....so these will be mini tarts with a small dollop of whipped cream on top....
So...what do you think?
Well, I must clean house....my sister is coming for a visit and I have been busy doing quilting or babysitting....
Nancy

Ingredients
3 lemons
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.

Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.

Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer. Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.

1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved



Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-curd-recipe.html?oc=linkback


By the way....I tasted it several hours after it has chilled in the fridge...just in case I would need to go get a jar....I knew this recipe was a good one....it is the best lemon curd I have ever tasted! Vastly superior to jarred! Oh my gosh....it was easy and it tastes so good....can't wait to share it on Sunday! According to what I have read online it can keep up to 7 days in the fridge...so go ahead and make some...It's just wonderful.....

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon curd. I am saving your recipe-the proportions are different than the one I use. Thanks for the recipe. xo Diana

ps. I do not like the stuff in jar at all.

Nancy's Notes said...

What a great recipe for lemon curd, it's one I'll try soon! Thank you!

Nancy