Sunday, March 22, 2015

Treasure Hunter Story

I'd like to tell you a story. It's a true story.
You see, I go almost once a week treasure hunting with my friend. And the last several months, we've taken the same route, as it is productive.
You see the same characters each week, those who do it professionally with their cell phones checking to see what things go for and what history they are.
We go to find great items for our homes. I am lucky since I can look for my girls too, which broadens the search a bit.
Well, Friday we went out and hit Goodwill first. This Goodwill has great managers, they keep it neat and tidy and treat it like a retail store, but the prices for the most part are really good...
Well, this particular Friday we found lots of wonderful treasures.
First off I found a lovely mirrored star...

Grand total? $9.99.
Then I found some other treasures...
I found these drapes, unused and originally from Target....$7.99 each. At Target, still available and $20 each! So, one or other daughter will get them....
I found a pillow and then I found a black iron dish drainer.....

 I found two matching lamps....perfect for an update in the bedroom.
Funny, once upon a time, about 15 years ago I found little lamps for the bedside lamps....$.99 each. Yup, under a $1 each....but that was 15+ years ago, and I wanted slightly taller and a bit more "something" than those...
Well, there they were, no shades but at $5.99 each not bad. Even better?? They were orange tags, the sale of the day...so they were half off! Yup, that made them about $2.98 each....
That meant all I needed were lamp shades. HUmmmmm, that is the hard part.
So, Hubby and I went to Home Depot. We got one of the lamps a new harp and two in-line switches which makes them easier to turn on from bed.
This morning I handed him the lamps and switches (electrical is his job) and I went off to find shades.
I hit Target first...should be easy....oops no "spider" style shades that fit....
I called him, that's when he said that the in-line switch was the wrong size. Shoot....well, I went to TJ Maxx Home store and Home Depot is next door, so off I went...
Well, the HOme Store doesn't have just shades....double shoot!
I went to Home Depot, returned the too small switches and looked to see if they had the right ones, they did in electrical, but they were white. We need brown.
Shoot.....
I went to Ace Hardware....they had a brown one...only one. They told me they had more at the the Huntington Beach store...so I went.
They only had one....in off-white.
Now, I'm getting grumpy.
So, I went to the TJ Maxx store nearby about a three blocks from the Ace....
They had a couple of shades, but not the right size. I'm getting really grumpy. So I headed home.
Hubby was pleased with the in-line switch that I did get...and went about putting it in...
I started looking online at lamp shades...
Do you realize how hard it is to find shades?? Yeah...
I was online and had actually started looking at Restoration Hardware...when I remembered. I had Restoration shades in the garage!
I ran out and there they were! Perfect! Well, I might have preferred an off white linen shade, but these are lovely! And free.......
Well, I have now ordered from Amazon another in-line switch just like the one I got at Ace...for like 20 cents less than Ace...and Hubby has installed one light next to the bed....

Well, aside from the fact that I need to do dusting...I found lamps and they cost $10 a piece counting the in-line switches and shared cost of the one harp. Not bad.....
Not a bad day doing treasure hunting....of course there were lots of other little items I found..
Overall, the moral of the story is, double check that you don't have the part you need in the garage before you go driving all over to find nothing....
Hope you have a great day.
Nancy

No comments: