Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Impromptu Breakfast

The other day, our grown girls, were going to come over for Breakfast...I had an idea.
Instead of just offering coffee, why not Breakfast?
So, I got up early and while Hubby made coffee, I cooked so bacon and then stirred up a coffee-cake.
Now, both one daughter and I are on a gluten-free diet, and she can't have eggs....
So, I pulled out my Pamela's baking mix ( I buy it from Amazon 4 lb bag, cannot live without it. I can use it for everything that requires flour!) and stirred up a coffee-cake....
The recipe on the back of the package is Sour Cream Coffee Cake, but since we are also dairy free, I used coconut milk, and still worked beautifully!

Cake batter:
2 cups of Baking & Pancake Mix     2/3 cup butter (I used Earth Balance cinnamon)
1 cup sugar                         2 eggs (I used Egg Replacer)
1tsp vanilla                         1 cup sour cream (I used coconut milk)

Filling:
1 cup walnut pieces or pecans (I didn't use any)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup currants soaked in hot water then drained

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 TBSP water
3/4 tsp vanilla
Mix until creamy

Preheat the oven to 350, Mix together the filling and set aside.
Mix cake batter, first dry ingredients, then add liquid, stir until creamy.
grease a cake pan and then spoon 1/2 the batter into pan.
Then add the filling....and then the rest of the batter.
Bake until a knife comes out clean, about 45 mins.
When cool, remove from pan and pour on the glaze...

So, it was a hit! Funny, the filling sank to the bottom, which became the top when turned out. But it was fantastic! Served with bacon and coffee.....yummmm
 Here is the coffee cake....it was very yummy....and I recommend having parchment rounds or doilies always at hand....
I used my new bottle drier for the mugs so the girls could help themselves...
It was a wonderful morning....
Have a warm and wonderful day!
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

It sounds like a wonderful morning, Nancy, and that coffee cake looks DELICIOUS! Those spur of the moment things are often the best, aren't they? xo Diana

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Yum, This sounds delicious! I am dairy intolerant so I am always looking for substitutions.
xx,
Sherry