Sunday, March 8, 2015

From the Garden

Now, I am sorry if this is painful for those of you who have been under snow for months....so I apologize....however, our garden is brimming already.
Day before yesterday I made a lentil soup with our own carrots, parsley, and few fava beans thrown in for good measure....

The soup was delicious...how could it not be?? Sweet fresh carrots.....
And then yesterday we harvested beets to roast....yummy roasted and then finished with butter and honey....

The beets are still delicious even though they are getting old....after all they grew all winter long....
However, my garden doesn't have peppers yet and everyone was begging for more Pepper Jelly....Hubby especially, who loves to put it on his quesadillas....
So, when we went to Costco I bought peppers just for making pepper jelly....using the last two little jalapenos that I had miraculously still out in the garden.....
So, I actually made two small batches this week...the last batch I went to the store and bought some jalapenos to add....It isn't a spicy jelly at all....more sweet than spicy....
As you can see I also made Bread and Butter pickles....there was a demand for that too, and since I have seedlings...I bought little cocktail cucumbers at Costco and used those...we will call them "Cocktail Bread and Butters"....
But seriously, our weather after our last big rain storm is glorious.
It was 83 yesterday and time to uncover the table and wash everything off....The whole patio was quite dirty and in need.
So, what do you do when you do that? You BBQ! We had antelope burgers and wild boar burgers...with beets and a new salad using the cucumbers that remained after canning and there was some leftover brine from the canning...we used the brine over the leftover cukes, added some thinly sliced sweet onion, cannelini beans, sliced olives and fresh parsley....and let it get happy in the bread and butter juice (brine).....You know what ? It was delicious!! It went beautifully with the beets and burgers! Gotta keep that one in mind....don't throw out that last 1/4 cup of sweet pickling brine stuff....it makes a great dressing!
And....then this morning, with the time change, I was up early and made the coffee (that is usually Hubby's job) and made a coffee cake! Unloaded the dishwasher, cleaned up from the canning that had cooled on the counter and started another lovely day....

I hope you have a lovely day!! I hope Spring has sprung where you are....
Blessings,
Nancy

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Yes- this is painful for me. lol We can't even plant outside until after Memorial Day (we try to plant June 1st when we can). It's a crazy year this year. I am glad you have green growing things- but I am a bit green myself--with jealousy. xo Diana