Saturday, March 14, 2015

A Dinner Party

With a busy week, no weeks, it was time for us to have a dinner party with friends. It was long overdue.
Now, the problem is my friend is a great cook. She has traveled all over and even gone to Italy just for cooking classes. She is really a great cook. And then there's me.
I'm an average cook. I love to cook and do every night of the week, but my cooking is not up to her par. I always feel a bit challenged when designing a menu and pulling it together, for dinner parties.
The weather did not help at all. It went to 92 degrees....how do you pull together a gourmet meal with that kind of heat??
Well, refine it a bit so at least the cooking is short time and doesn't heat the whole house up.
So, I decided on a menu that included something I haven't done before.
I haven't ever made chicken picatta...
The rest I used pre-done potatoes from Trader Joes...fast and easy...frozen green beans with slivered almonds and a salad.
For appetizers, I chose a white bean and basil hummus (also Trader Joes) with crackers and sliced peppers.
I also got a hair brained idea to make cheese puffs....from scratch.
Yes, I did. So, early before the heat, I made them....
I found the recipe and it was actually easy....




Then, I served the cheese puffs for each in escargot plates! Finally, those cute little plates had a job! 
Well, I have to say my cheese puffs turned out pretty darn good...
Now, the exciting part...cheese puffs can be frozen and reheated and still taste good (or so the recipe says)...so, its pretty good...even if I can't eat them. Yeah, they are on the do not eat list...but its nice that they turned out so well.
Know what?? My dinner turned out. The picatta turned out really well...I followed the recipe exactly (something I don't usually do I might add)...and the timing turned out well too...picatta, potatoes, and beans did well...within seconds of each other....
Dessert, well, I put together a rustic pear tart made with phyllo dough...which on a hot dry day is not a good idea....but it still worked....it was yummy....
All in all, it turned out ....
Hope you had a great day...
Nancy


No comments: