Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Baby Quilt

I cannot believe where the time has gone.
It seems somehow my weeks have vanished in whirl of activity....not entirely bad, just busy....but somehow never quite the way I had planned it. Ever have times like that? Where you plan your day and it gets waylaid? Yeah....like that.  But all in all a good thing, afterall, I could be alone, sick or forgotten...right?
Well, one day this last week, I planned to finish the baby quilt that I had started and I did! Well, I still have binding to do, but that shouldn't take too long....
Anyway, if you remember, I started it well, before Christmas I believe and then it sat while I figured what to do with what I had.

This is what I showed you before Christmas.....and what I had after I stitched it together was a small, small quilt top with well no pizazz.
Then, the other day I had the inspiration I wanted. The quilt is for my daughter's friend who is expecting a boy in June...she has a couple of dogs and a cat. So, why not an applique cats and dogs?? Ah ha!
So, those little half squares became this...


As you can see I appliqued the cat and dog squares on a 6" square, so I made a three stripe border that meets the squares...and then....I used a hearts and vines all over free motion quilting pattern, all done by machine, but by my own hand guiding....they are irregular but it turned out pretty adorable...



Here is the backing so you can see the all over pattern.
It is now 38" x 40", so it is a decent size for little babies.....
Now, I will do binding...which will be done in the same fabric as the backing....
Have a great day...
Nancy

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

That is just a darling quilt. I love to see the pattern on the backing, too. It is just lovely. xo Diana

Parsimonious Perfection said...

How darling!

Lori Leigh said...

Lovely quilt. How nice of you to be making it for your daughter's friend.
Lori

Little Miss Maggie said...

What a thoughtful gift. Your daughter's friend will love this hand made creation.