Monday, February 2, 2015

Out in the Garden

Not to rub it in for those who are buried deep in snow....but, here in Southern California, it is spring...in a big way!
Our littlest peach has not only bloomed during frost and rain, but set peaches!
But, when the goldfinches return en masse, and the bluebird calls, it's time to get out into the garden....stat!
So, the first thing I needed to do was address the cherry trees, which for two years have been squashed into very small pots and need more "leg room"...so for a little over a year we have been discussing what to do. I wanted 1/2 wine barrels, he didn't say but dragged his feet.
Realizing that wine barrels are expensive and heavy and rustic, I finally figured it out....
So, I went through other options...galvanized....no..
handmade....no.....
in the ground....no (it would get into the pipes etc....)
Then, as I pondered going to sleep, I woke up the next morning with an answer.
Buy the square redwood planters from Home Depot and paint them the trim color of the house!
It gives the formal look he craved....
A bit more formal than I might have chosen, but to be able to "farm" the front yard, one needs to make it acceptable to everyone (including neighbors)....
So, we bought out the selection of four from Home Depot....
He drilled a larger hole in the center for me and I painted.
As soon as they were painted, we pulled the cherry trees from what was supposed to temporary homes, and replanted. Little damage was incurred on the trees we think, an since they are dormant all the better.

We placed larger than the pot cardboard underneath so keep grass from growing up into the boxes, which was a problem with the other pots....
Then the other two pots were painted and placed on the other side of the garden, also with cardboard, in preparation of planting.....we will be buying two more for more plants on this side...waiting for a shipment.....
The other two pots will go opposite the ones we just put down. Around the birdbath, I have started removing the little hedge, it wasn't working and instead I will let the lavender do its thing and I bought three double decker echinaceas which I will add to that area....I think they will be quite striking with the lavender.
Hubby wants the gardener to trim the hedges we have more square....and I want him to weed more....
But I wanted you to see how we are off into spring. My guess our year will be similar to last year with more heat than has been the case in the last 20+ years.
Wishing you warmth and comfort if you are in the snow areas....
Wishing a blessed day.
Nancy

No comments: