Friday, February 20, 2015

Adventures in bottle cutting, sanding and candle-making

Let's start with the obvious. Saving and washing wine bottles, glass soda bottles etc...they need to be clean and dry...
My new bottle dryer came from online, and it actually is a smaller footprint than the big one I have...and it works!
Then the next obvious, for bottle cutting and sanding, you MUST have gloves, safety glasses and I find a container to catch all the dust and bits and pieces of glass the sandpaper takes off, a real plus!
 These are nitrile gardening gloves from Ace, and they work very nicely for this...a good secure grip and protection from glass...
 I actually wear my regular readers and the safety glasses....stuff can fly and safety glass keep it away from your eyes....sanding anything this is a good idea....
 I ordered bottle cutting sand papers that come in 5 different grits...you are supposed to use all of them...let me tell you now...this is not a quick job and care must be used doing this...afterall, this is glass we are sanding....
Hubby took a picture of me....yes, I am sitting at the dining table with that plastic container that catches almost all the grit and glass while doing this....

Here are the five glass "cups" I created by cutting the bottles, bottoms get made into candles and the tops become "hurricanes".....
I then melted soy wax that comes all flaked and easy to melt....for my first time melting wax I thought this the easy way to go....I did buy a pourer container that you melt it in and then pour....it really did make pouring easier and was worth the extra $$ from Michael's. (It you find one at a thrift store...grab it...it would be much cheaper.)
Then, I poured to fill.....after setting up the wicks...
 This is the container I got set inside a bigger pot of water to melt...sort of a double boiler...much safer way to go....
This shows the wick and the holder I got...and the newly poured wax....
Now, I understand why people recommend the wax adhesive that I didn't buy....with the bottom of a wine bottle, it is raised like a hill inside...that adhesive would help hold the wick in place while the wax dries....oh, well, it's the first time for me and there were no directions at the store or on the box or where you get supplies...so take it from me, get the wax adhesives to hold the bottom of the wick in this type of candle....flat bottoms aren't such a big deal......
and here they are 1 hour later.....


When they are fully dry I will trim the wicks...and voila! Candles!
Hope you try it out....
Nancy

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

You did a great job. I have always been afraid to try the bottle cutting. I have made lots of candles over the years though.
Love how yours turned out. They are definitely one of a kind. xo Diana

Sally Somervill said...

These are so cool! I've seen some similar ones sold in specialty shops that were turned into drinking glasses. What a great way to recycle - yours turned out so cute.
Sally