Friday, January 30, 2015

Trying to be Green

Well, have you looked at the Napa Style Catalog? Yeah, they have lovely "hurricanes" made from various sizes of wine bottles. Hubby thought they were cool...me too, until we saw the prices. Actually, I have seen those elsewhere too, for a range of prices.
Then, about three weeks ago, I saw a blog about making candles from wine bottles. It was an informative blog (sorry I don't remember the name of it), but they did tell about the tool they used. HUmmm, I thought, what if?
So, I went to Amazon and there it was. It wasn't super expensive, I think I paid $12. So, I told Hubby, and he said, sure, let's do that....
So, I ordered it and it came and sat....until today.
You see, today was a cleaning day...one that was desperately needed. Part of the cleaning was the bunch of bottles we had collected waiting to be turned into something with this tool.
Now, you need to know. I am a bit of a weenie when it comes to cutting glass. However, this tool really works. Yup, it does.
It takes a bit of practice and the recommendation to wear gloves and safety glasses is good...this could be dangerous. However, with practice and precaution, one can get all sorts of things from this.

I played with both bottles completely "de-labeled" and a couple with the labels (because honestly some labels are very cool and some are incredibly impossible to remove!).
You can see the "score" I made on the two bottles in front....
After you score them,  you put them into boiling hot water, then cold and back again until the bottles makes a sound of splitting.
The first two split incorrectly...hey, it takes practice! They went to the trash.
The second two did fairly well, the third was really good.
I didn't keep the top of the one that wasn't as good, not worth getting cut over....
Here is what I have now...

There are two useable top halves and three useable bottom halves. The bottom halves are for future craft project of making candles....
The top parts, that is what Hubby wanted.....
Now, that is pretty cool.
Warning. They give you a sandpaper to sand the bottom where you cut. I sanded, very carefully and it looks ok, but honestly...unless you have a professional sander for glass...do NOT check with your fingers or turn this into a glass for drinking. Caution is to be used throughout the process, it is glass afterall. I was very careful in sanding and used a DARK bag under the sandpaper, so I could see particles that came off...this was wise...I could see the tiny, tiny fragments that came off. So, be careful.
I washed the counter very carefully and threw away the bag. I rinsed the bottoms where I sanded but did not touch them. I'm sure they are still a bit sharp. Respect and caution yields a couple of useable things....
So, aside from cleaning and doing laundry and putting limes in the dehydrator and prepping limes for marmalade, this is what I did today.....
Have a great one.
Nancy

No comments: